Fairey Rotodyne

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnbr

2nd Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2006
London Ontario Canada
Rotodyne Prototype back.jpg
Fairey Rotodyne 1.jpg
Fairey Rotodyne 3.jpg
Fairey Rotodyne 4.jpg

I've always wondered how this would have faired, after development, as a military tactical transport. For the time, it's projected capabilities were way ahead of any helicopter then in RAF ( or perhaps even US ) service, and probably on a par with today's Chinooks and similar types, in lift / load capability.
But then again, was it perhaps rather too complex or field use ?

I've always wondered how this would have faired, after development, as a military tactical transport. For the time, it's projected capabilities were way ahead of any helicopter then in RAF ( or perhaps even US ) service, and probably on a par with today's Chinooks and similar types, in lift / load capability.
But then again, was it perhaps rather too complex or field use ?

I've read the RAF were dubious about the the Rotodyne's hovering capabilities and its tactical applications. And again it was incredibly noisy (at the time) and at night the tip jets were like a fireworks display. The compound helicopter approach had (according to one source) "payed the price of high speed cruise by having a vertical take-off capability less good than that of a helicopter and decreased payload because of the additional weight of the structure."
Another issue (John Everett-Heath), is yaw control - "in helicopter mode it was insufficient, certainly for a military machine."

The planned military version (remembering the Rotodyne was a prototype only) was to be larger in size and and with a higher lifting capacity and a loaded weight of 30 tons.
Not to be, but with more time, money and firm orders?

I wonder what might have been had they come up with a "tilt rotor" version, something like the Osprey? That might be an idea for a "what if" model!

The Americans certainly thought tilting the thrust element was worthy of pursuing, as just under ten years after the Rotodyne was cancelled the USAF launched its Light Intratheater Transport (LIT), which was answered by tilt-wing or tilt-rotor concepts. Avoids some of the complexities of the system, but introduces others, as the V-22 has demonstrated.

And again it was incredibly noisy (at the time)

John Farley of Hawker Siddeley said this about it; "From two miles away it would stop a conversation. I mean, the noise of those little jets on the tips of the rotor was just indescribable. So what have we got? The noisiest hovering vehicle the world has yet come up with and you're going to stick it in the middle of a city?"

The thing is they only needed the tip jets for under a minute and had reduced the noise by more than the half of that of the prototype. The Rotodyne engines mad also trouble. The Eurocopter X3 show us the benefit of the concept.
I think the major issue was the idea of city heliports didn't work, yes there where some airlines but most of them shuut down because even they where to loud for flying of the roof of a living quarter or an office building. I lived next to a hospital when the UH-1 or BK 117 landed I just wanted to man a flak gun, with the EC 135 and 145 it's better but quiter you still don't want that at night.
1615557036805.png

I lived next to a hospital when the UH-1 or BK 117 landed I just wanted to man a flak gun, with the EC 135 and 145 it's better but quiter you still don't want that at night.

Yup, I live between a hospital and an airport and the rescue helicopter is going between the two frequently at all hours... :rolleyes: A Bee Kay. Good helo, but noisy at two in the am right above the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back