Fastest Piston Engined Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe you're thinking of the Me321 glider.
The Me323 was the powered version of Me321.

Thanks for the correction, the numbers get gloppy with me on occasion. I'm certainly talking about the glider and not the six-engined -323.

The point, that having three a/c take off easily while strapped together is difficult, and that the Germans took measures to get around this, is still germane.

The He111Z could also pull multiple gliders, like the Go242.

In regards to the parasite fighter concept, a German (don't recall his name at the moment) tried to get the Luftwaffe to try some of his projects in '43/'44, but the Luftwaffe was a bit busy at the time, so it was never tried.
However, after the war, he went to the U.S. and approached the USAF about the idea and they went for it.

The first concept tried, was a C-47 and a PQ-14 (piloted by Bud Anderson, btw) and it was very successful.

This is where the Tip-Tow and Tom-Tom projects originated from.

I was thinking of the fact that the B-29 pilots had a control wheel and used their own ailerons, and so did both F-84 pilots, with sticks.

For the sake of discussion only, suppose the B-29 pilots, flying an aircraft with a known VERY slow roll response, wanted to bank left and the F-84 pilots tried NOT to bank left. To me, it seems like each F-84's set of ailerons would cancel each other out and the B-29 should bank left. But what if only ONE F-84 pilot tried not to bank left? Then, it seem to me as if the F-84's ailerons would still cancel each other out, but the deflected ailerons would add drag to that side. It would be OK of the guy trying not to bank left was on the left side, but would cause considerable adverse yaw if he was on the right side (drag on the extreme right when the B-29 was trying to bank left.

The worst scenario I can think of would be that when they decided to release the F-84s, ONE released and the other one wouldn't.

I'm starting to get curious how that thing could taxi and took off, and am assuming that maybe they coupled together in-flight? Does that even seem possible?

Just thinking about the contraption in print ... I'll stop ...
Greg,

My guess is they "joined" inflight due to the misaligned height of the wings while sitting on the ground.

I could also see where the once things were worked out where the two fighter guys would mess with the B-29 crew by inducing drag, causing turns, yaws, or rolls.

My question is do you get to log powered or unpowered flight while flying the F-84 with the engine off and attached to the Superfort?…

Cheers,
Biff

Greg,

My guess is they "joined" inflight due to the misaligned height of the wings while sitting on the ground.

I could also see where the once things were worked out where the two fighter guys would mess with the B-29 crew by inducing drag, causing turns, yaws, or rolls.

My question is do you get to log powered or unpowered flight while flying the F-84 with the engine off and attached to the Superfort?…

Cheers,
Biff

You're in a single-seater and in-flight, but are you pilot-in-command or pilot-providing-interference?

Last edited:
Perhaps both?
Pilot - to attach/detach.
Pax - because once the engine's off, you're along for the ride and aren't part of the B-29's crew and can't technically claim glider stick time.
Or could you?

You're in a single-seater and in-flight, but are you pilot-in-command or pilot-providing-interference?
Both to answer your question. I would think even when attached you have to fly as your wingtip is a hinge.

As for interfering that would be easy. Motor on, put out speed brakes, or motor off use rudders and or cross control to create drag or yaw.

Cheers,
Biff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back