Favourite Airframe and Engine Combo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Replace the Junkers Jumo 004 Turbojets on those Me 262 or Arado Ar 234 Blitz whit the American-build General Electric J31-GE-5 turbojets or the British equals. those US or Brittish-build engine have about the same performance compare to the german jetengine exept it have mutc better lifespan.

Replace the Junkers Jumo 004 Turbojets on those Me 262 or Arado Ar 234 Blitz whit the American-build General Electric J31-GE-5 turbojets or the British equals. those US or Brittish-build engine have about the same performance compare to the german jetengine exept it have mutc better lifespan.

That´s not easily possible. The GE J31 is too large in front area and diameter due to the radial layout. It would require larger nacelles and hence a taller landing gear to clear the nacelles from ground, thus increasing the weight. The 7t+ -262 would now have an even higher wingload and drag for less top speed, and lower crit Mach figure, while other performances are identic.
That´s no good trade, esspeccially if You factor that other german jet engines, such as the BMW-003 had acceptable service times (200 hours), comparable poweroutput but are less heavy and less large. With BMW-003 You can reduce the take off weight of the Me-262 to 6t. max (altough the original -262 wouldnt have got swept back wings with -003), with the HeS30 the max. take off weight would be around 5.6t. max with much lower wingload, better endurance, lower drag and better top speed, respectely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back