Feel free to ask me......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pictures of FG-1D

2%2034%20FG-1D%20N11Y%20right%20rear%20m.jpg

9%2006%20FG-1D%20N11Y%20left%20front%20m.jpg

More as I find 'em

Kiwimac

Re the FG-1E

FG-1E

The FG-1E was a designation that was to be applied to a number of Goodyear-built radar equipped Corsairs. The FG-1E was to incorporate the cannon wings of the -1C and to carry a advanced APS-4 radar unit on the starboard wing outboard of the guns. No evidence that any aircraft were constructed or designated as such has been found.

Source: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/indiabasin/464/corsairhistory_3.html

(about 2/3rds down the page.)

The ones from the Polish site are F2Gs, but still nice ;)
From that bit I've read about Corsairs still around, it seems that FG-1Ds, F4U-4s, and F4U-5s are among the more common variants, which could explain why there's so many pictures of -1Ds and not of -1s.

Regarding the -1E thanks, so it was planned to be a night fighting a bit newer than the -2 and with cannons instead of the 5x.50 cals.

kiwimac said:
Ah Dang, the Polish site lists them as FG-1s. Bugger.

Hey can anyone tell me what the hell the gauge is on the front of the Corsair's Radial? (3rd Polish pic)!

Kiwimac
That is Goodyear F2G-1D Super Corsair with 3,000 Pratt Whitney R-4360-4 engine and also I have found that serial number = B.U. #88454 of F2G-1D. Wanna know what NATC stand for? It stands for "Naval Air Test Center" and it kinda werid name, but it for US Navy and US Marines Corps.

F2G-1 = Non-Folding Wings
F2G-2 = Folding Wings

So if the F2G-1 has nonfolding wings, and the F2G-2 has folding wings, whats special about the F2G-1D?

Archer said:
So if the F2G-1 has nonfolding wings, and the F2G-2 has folding wings, whats special about the F2G-1D?
Possible Goodyear has added Hydraulic folding wings on F2G-1D (Possible only one F2G-1D) for a test and I have no clue what up with F2G-1D. There are so many secret of F2G during in WWII and aftermath of WWII. I am still working on F2G research to find how they became "secret" and hopefully i'll find some answer for it.

Where'd you find that?

Vought F4U Corsair by Martin Bowman says that 7 XF2G-1s (converted from FG-1 and FG-1As) and 10 F2G-1/2s were built.
It doesn't specify what variants, but since it was intended to intercept kamikazes at low level I would doubt that 8 of the 10 built were FG-1Es, unless there were others not known to the author.

Edit: According to an Appendix of US Navy Corsairs, there were 5 F2G-1s and 5 F2G-2s accepted by the Navy as well as the 7 modified XF2G-1s

The FG-1E was not one of the corncob powered F2G's, it was a night fighter derived from a normally R-2800 powered FG-1A with radar attached to the right wing like the later F4U-5N.

Interesting note about the F2G's, the F4U-4 and later variants with R-2800s were actually faster than the F2G's. Brute force ain't everything.

Does anybody know what the A2U was supposed to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back