FG-1A Cutaway/info/manual

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sgt. Pappy

Airman 1st Class
Jun 7, 2006
After reading a bit more into the F4U, I've learned that the Goodyear-built versions often weren't equipped with naval gear. I don't know how it looks inside the wings or if the cockpit instrumentation actually changed...

Does anyone have any more info on the FG-1A since google has barely any?

Thanks!

Thanks again Micdrow!
I'll take a look at that FAA one as I have the other ones.

G'day Sgt. Pappy!

We used Goodyear FG-1D Corsairs in the RNZAF (Royal New Zealand Air Force) from 1944-47, and apparently the only external difference was the fitting of rocket stubs under the wings (3 pairs per wing if I remember rightly.) I'm guessing the wing would have to have been strengthened for that, as even our Chance-Vought F4U-1D's could only carry weapon loads on the inner pvlons, that is inboard of the undercarriage.
All our Corsairs had the landing hook and bar removed, with only the actuating gear remaining fixed to the tail wheel leg, through which a ring was mounted where the bar would have been attached (possibly for towing the aircraft, but that's just my guess)
As far as I know the wings could still be folded on our FG-1D's, I would be very surprised if they produced Corsirs without this function.

Will let you know if I find out any technical info to help you, my books are all at home.

Hope this helps!

Check out the 'Corsair paint schemes' thread on this forum, Catch22 has posted a photo of an RNZAF FG-1D Corasir being loaded onto the 'Glory' Japan bound.

It has 4 pairs of rocket stubs under the wings, not 3 as I'd remembered, and as you can see, the wings are folded.

Thanks A4K!

However, the FG-1D's were almost always fitted with naval gear, except when operated by the RNZAF in which case the hook was removed as a way to lighten the aircraft. Any type of removal of wing folding mechanisms was a factory/heavy duty task that no one would o in the field.

The FG-1/1A, however, were planes that were being built while the F4U-1/1A's were still unproven to fly carrier operations. Therefore, Goodyear was making Corsairs with no naval gear for land-based squadrons. By the time the F4U-1D entered service, Corsairs were flying carrier ops so Goodyear produced FG-1D's with naval gear.

The main difference was that the Goodyear machines couldn't fold their wings. Some related equipment was removed to save weight, but overall the design of the wing didn't change much at all - no visible differences externally.
Land-based pilots preferred the Goodyear machines over the Vought ones. The weight reduction gave them a slightly better performance overall.

There was one difference.
The tail, which no longer had a hook, was slightly reshaped. On a hooked Corsair, the hook retracts but even when the tailwheel doors close, theres still a small well for the hook to sit in and the hook is partly exposed. On the FG-1(A) this hook is not there, so the well is closed up.

The tailwheel also lacks any of the frame supporting the hook. It's just a tail wheel sitting there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back