Fiat G.50 Squad 352 - 1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hi guys,

I'm building the Airfix 1/72 G50. The instructions have desert tan with green patches. Has anyone got a photo preferably colour of this bird? I've seen some photos of other birds such as 352-4, 352-3, 352-9..... they seem to have different schemes some green and brown over the base desert tan.

cheers
Francis

1699176054941.png

352-4 and 2 have a green and brown stripey / patchy thingo
1699175684196.png
1699175764918.png

1699175839995.png

Here the G.50 of the 352° Squadriglia, 20° Gruppo no. "1" while moving to Belgium in 1940. As you may notice it had been the "Red 1" before the squadriglia was sent to the North Africa in 1941. Anyway, after the return of the 20° Gruppo from Belgium to Italy they got the new aircraft of Bis AS type in April 1941.
Being moved to the Africa the G.50 wore the standard tree-tone camo consisted of a sand ( Giallo Mimetico 3 ) on tops with the green ( Verde Mimetico 3 ) and a brown ( Marrone Mimetico2 ) blotches over that. The undersides were of the light grey ( Grigio Mimetico ). Additionally the yellow engine cowling and the white band at the rear part of the fuselage.

352-1.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The new planes were painted in a factory. Here you are a quite blurry shot of the brand-new G.50. However the layout of the camo can be noticed and seems to be the same for all of the kites. The only difference is the order of the colours and the shape of the blotches that could be different.

G50_new1.jpg

G50_new2.jpg

G50_new3.jpg

The 352-2 in the Africa 1941 ... "Red 2". the same layout of the camo as for the new planes above. The other images of the 352 Squadriglia G.50s taken in the Africa indicate just the camo layout.

352_2.jpg

352_2a.jpg

352_2b.jpg

the source: the net.

Thanks Wojtek, that first photo, the '1' looks red. My kit decal is black. No 2 bird is clearly in red. The instructions say Nth Africa 1941. So looks like the kit made a mistake.

It is very likely. IMHO the Airfix based on the pic below regarding the numbers. Also you posted the shot in the first post. But according to the pics of the other G.50s of the unit taken in/over the Africa these individual numbers for each of the planes were red though.

Fiat-G50-Freccia-20-Gruppo-352-Squadriglia-352-4-MM5945-Pantelleria-Isl-AF-1941-01.jpg

It is very likely. IMHO the Airfix based on the pic below regarding the numbers. Also you posted the shot in the first post. But according to the pics of the other G.50s of the unit taken in/over the Africa these individual numbers for each of the planes were red though.

View attachment 745785
Ok thanks, I'll see if I can find a red number in my decal stash. I suppose it doesn't have to be '1'. The only other numbers on the decal sheet are very small for the tail. One is FIAT G50 the other is MM 6155. Im not sure if that's an aircraft ID. But it's so small I couldn't read it without magnifying. So I don't think it will matter if I use a different number.
Francis

I see. The MM number is the aircraft serial.

Actually the red "1" you may make yourself. Just paint some of the clear decal background or part of the decsal sheet with the red. On the another side pencil the "1" digit of the correct size. The drawing has to be reversed if you want to get the correct red digit. And then just cut it out.
However there is the another qay ...

1. cut out the main squadron numbers. Do it as marked with the red. In the way you may limit the clear decal background reducing the possibility of the silvering additionally.

g50decal1.jpg

2. Having that done cut out both of the "1" and then paint them red. Use slightly lighter red colour because of their "black background". When dried you may apply them on the model.

g50decal3.jpg

I see. The MM number is the aircraft serial.

Actually the red "1" you may make yourself. Just paint some of the clear decal background or part of the decsal sheet with the red. On the another side pencil the "1" digit of the correct size. The drawing has to be reversed if you want to get the correct red digit. And then just cut it out.
However there is the another qay ...

1. cut out the main squadron numbers. Do it as marked with the red. In the way you may limit the clear decal background reducing the possibility of the silvering additionally.

View attachment 745837

2. Having that done cut out both of the "1" and then paint them red. Use slightly lighter red colour because of their "black background". When dried you may apply them on the model.

View attachment 745839
Interesting idea! I don't think I could paint that number 1 neatly enough! haha. The 1 would end up looking like an S lol. I normally do cut the longer decals where I can to reduce possibility of silvering. If I can't find another red number decal I might try your idea. ok thanks

View attachment 745785
This photo was taken on the air base on the island of Pantelleria in front of the northern entrance to the protected hangar, still used today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back