Finding Crew Numbers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ladyshippers

Recruit
Dec 2, 2018
My uncle served with at least 2 different squadrons in WWII. In 1941 he was in 602 Squadron of RCAF and was awarded the Defence Medal, then in 1943 he was with the RAAF in 462 squadron. He was a rear gunner and was lost at sea after bailing out when the crew's Halifax was shot down near Sicily. I have been looking for badges to put with other memorabilia and have seen that some have specific crew numbers. Can anyone advise how I could find which crews he was in? I know they probably changed at times but I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.

I have a copy of the notice in the London Gazette for when he was awarded his medal and there are some numbers quoted but I don't know what they refer to.
I will try to attach a copy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517_175203_Ancestry.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_175203_Ancestry.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 11
My uncle served with at least 2 different squadrons in WWII. In 1941 he was in 602 Squadron of RCAF and was awarded the Defence Medal, then in 1943 he was with the RAAF in 462 squadron. He was a rear gunner and was lost at sea after bailing out when the crew's Halifax was shot down near Sicily. I have been looking for badges to put with other memorabilia and have seen that some have specific crew numbers. Can anyone advise how I could find which crews he was in? I know they probably changed at times but I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.

I have a copy of the notice in the London Gazette for when he was awarded his medal and there are some numbers quoted but I don't know what they refer to.

I think you meant 405 Squadron RCAF, not 602. The Operations Record Book contains details of your uncle's crew here: Royal Canadian Air Force operations record book... - Héritage. Further details of the mission can be found on the couple of pages that follow the one on the link.

Your uncle was on Wellington II "Q" serial W5516.

Capture.JPG

602 was "City of Glasgow" Fighter Squadron. As Crimea a River posted the details are on the Heritage site and not always easy to find. They are not alwas scanned in date order.
The Operational Record Books for 462 Squadron are on the link below start from page 587 (Halifax W7758) and work back for the aircraft and missions undertaken. Note: there were two "Parsons" on the squadron the other was a Sgt. Apart from the last fatal mission his normal crew were:
F/O H.L Baker
F/ R. Molyneux
Sgt. E.W Connor
Sgt F Jerrard
The last mission is covered here:
426 Squadron is a bit of a strange one as 426 also exists as a Canadian Squadrion as well ans an RAAF one.
Hope this fills in some gaps

I think you meant 405 Squadron RCAF, not 602. The Operations Record Book contains details of your uncle's crew here: Royal Canadian Air Force operations record book... - Héritage. Further details of the mission can be found on the couple of pages that follow the one on the link.

Your uncle was on Wellington II "Q" serial W5516.

View attachment 721240
Thank you and yes of course it is 405 Squadron. I had trouble typing my post and didn't notice the error. Possibly auto correct being unhelpful as 602 refers to something else I'd typed previously.

Thank you so much for the correction and the information. I'm very grateful.
I'll have to look at it after checking this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back