Finding Serial Number for a Aeronca L-3C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger is spot on. If it has the original engine and it has a serial number, we can use it to cross reference to the Individual Aircraft Record Card to get the aircraft number as well as the MSN.

Wurger is spot on. If it has the original engine and it has a serial number, we can use it to cross reference to the Individual Aircraft Record Card to get the aircraft number as well as the MSN.
We do have 2 engines (current one on it is missing parts and the other is a fully assembled one) for this, as well as it's original wooden prop. I sent a email to my professor regard this technique hopefully this will help. as we will be check the engine Monday.

You may have already gone this route, if not someone here may be able to help....FAA Registry - Aircraft - Current Registration Inquiry
I went down the log book alley with the OP. Also provided links to OEM drawings via the Smithsonian. It's a static display aircraft and they are Part 147 students. I could not understand the reticence to jig up and weld a new engine mount under instructor supervision. At my level, we don't weld anymore however, in non-turbine powered GA it's still a viable and needed skill set.

Just in case there was an industry norm, I have read that the early Stinson Voyager series, at least at Model 10 time, had the serial number somehow engraved on the fuselage plate at center on bottom where the landing gear struts bolted together. Is there a similar place on an Aeronca? A long shot, but some place to look.

Here is a breakdown of the production of liaison aircraft for the US Army...No images of the data plate. The serial number was painted on the fuselage side under the windscreen.

US Army Grasshoppers from the book; The Fighting Grasshoppers, US Liaison Aircraft Operations in Europe, 1942-45, Ken Wakefield, Midland Counties Publications / Specialty Press, 1990

Attachments

• Grasshoppers 74.jpeg
    Grasshoppers 74.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
There may be a component data plate on a major sub-component (such as a wing or tail-plane) which could point you in the right direction.

Original Aeronca Drawings indicate the data plate was on the baggage compartment sidewall. If anyone is interested the San Diego Air and Space Museum at Gillespie Field is restoring 43-27165. Stop by and visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back