Finnish Airforce

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Two observations...

1) I feel sorry for the flight crew having to load their own 250kg bombs, that must have sucked right before a mission, and:

2) At about 5min what was with the pilot and the radio operator exchanging hand written messages via a pass-thru-bulkhead??? No intercom???

Russian planes usualy didn´t have intercoms, only this system with tubes where one could sent mesages in paper.
As far I know system did work well for sending small cicarettes to another crew member.
System worked with air/vacuum so only small and light could be sent.

Russian planes usualy didn´t have intercoms, only this system with tubes where one could sent mesages in paper.
As far I know system did work well for sending small cicarettes to another crew member.
System worked with air/vacuum so only small and light could be sent.

Excellent! Never knew that a vacuum based system was installed in a WWII airplane. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just string the wire and amplifier (tubes are big, hot and suck up lots of power) or use the old navy version of just sound tubes. Seems overly complicated for the Russians and their austere designs.

unfortunately I can't open the video but I suggest there're some SB bombers captured by Finns

no, the SB was the only bomber which featured this unique tube system, all other soviet bombers like Pe-2, Er-2 etc had intercom

Excellent! Never knew that a vacuum based system was installed in a WWII airplane. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just string the wire and amplifier (tubes are big, hot and suck up lots of power) or use the old navy version of just sound tubes. Seems overly complicated for the Russians and their austere designs.

Well it could be austere built but in the 30ies time (maiden flight 1934) the SB was probably the best medium bomber in the world. Some features common in the western aircraft like intercom were not present in the SB to increase production speed.

Excellent V2, very interesting.
These few guys have done so much with quit nothing in extrem weather conditions.
Pilot in the air, part time mechanics on the ground and flak gunners rest of this time ... total respect !

Well,if someone is interested you can find some books in finnish/english from here:http://www.aviationshop.fi/Kotimaisetkirjat.html.Look for these:1943 (Suomen ilmavoimat V),SUOMEN ILMAVOIMAT IV: 1942,SUOMEN ILMAVOIMAT III: 1941 and SUOMEN ILMAVOIMAT II: 1928-40.Also there should be this dvd video in english/swedish/finnish,SUOMEN ILMASOTA 1939-45 DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back