"Firebirds" Ah-64 Apache.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/qu...best-apache-model-brand-33224.html#post916905

msabell and the thread reminded me of my first "real" restoration into a kit and what really kicked off the passion for modeling. I also finally remembered where I put it for "safe keeping" 10 years after putting it there :S, at least she is safe!

I purchased 2 kits from garage sales that were AH-64s and 1 was the "firebird" special snazy edition (probobly some re-boxing I think it was a AMT kit...can't recall) but when I was a kid and having seen the movie I was all jazzed up about making the helicopter. It was a pretty bad task, everything was a color of pink, purple, light blue, and neon green but more along the lines of house interior colors than camo. In short I ended up using some parts from the spare kit, some parts that couldn't be saved (the flower machine gun, literally a plastic flower glued onto the machine gun which was a set of amazing girly colors :S the 1 cm main rotor that was broken to 1 bit was replaced with the rotor from the other kit and so forth)

I love this kit more than some really nice OOB stuff I do today, because it kicked off the passion for modeling and its one of the first kits I did myself (without dad's help!) even if it does look horrible its still such a great achievment being the first in my lot that it deserves to be posted on my favorite modeling site ! :D I wish I could find the same kit again and do a real OOB with aftermarket parts job on it :D

I left the wheels and some parts unpainted from the other kit but I re-did the entire color scheme on the body itself :D from pink.purple.neon greenish to a olive drab.

DSCN4907.jpg

DSCN4908.jpg

DSCN4909.jpg

DSCN4910.jpg

Get into the glue stained canopy Chopa-imination Arnold voice! :D
DSCN4911.jpg

Hope you guys like it :D hehe

Igor

Good on ya Igor, still got one of my early models too, a Fujimi Fw190A-8...it's what I call my perspective model, whacked together, brush painted, wrong colours,silvered decals...but at the time i thought it was the ants pants...:D

Nice one Igor! It's good to be able to keep early attempts at models - wish I still had some of mine.
Sadly, after many house moves over the years, I no longer have any models built before 1978, and some after that date have also gone. My first couple were back in 1961 - a Lysander and a Spit IX, and I can still see them in my memory now! Oh, the days of going to Woolworths on Saturday, and paying two Shillings for an Airfix kit in a poly bag! (Two Shillings is the equivalent of 10 Pence today, and some of those kits are still on general release now, at an average price over £5 !!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back