Firewall found need ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I recently found aircraft part that looks like a firewall at an abandoned Echeverria Airfield in Arizona. I believe it could be from a PT-17 Stearman. other possible aircraft include, BT-13, BT-15. I did not locate any part numbers on it, but it did have 2 inspection stamps, "HT" and "23". Also an access panel was found. Can you tell me what aircraft it goes to?

Thanks in advance
DaveT

Attachments

• Echeverria Field 064.jpg
    Echeverria Field 064.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 133
  • Echeverria Field 065.jpg
    Echeverria Field 065.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Echeverria Field 066.jpg
    Echeverria Field 066.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Echeverria Field 067.jpg
    Echeverria Field 067.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Echeverria Field 069.jpg
    Echeverria Field 069.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Echeverria Field 094.jpg
    Echeverria Field 094.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Echeverria Field 095.jpg
    Echeverria Field 095.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 214
Hi Dave - can you take a close up photo of the stamps. "HT" would usually be for "Heat treated." If I could see the "23" stamp I might be able to identify it to the manufacturer.

closeup of the stamps as requested. I believe the part is most likely from a PT-17 but I want to be sure.
Thanks
DaveT

Attachments

• Echeverria Field 068.jpg
    Echeverria Field 068.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Echeverria Field 070.jpg
    Echeverria Field 070.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 130
Hi Dave.

This could be a tough one - here's a link to a great website;

Aviation Archaeology - Aircraft Inspection Stamps

The stamp doesn't seem to have any other identifer but looking at the part I would tend to agree that a PT-17 might be a good guess. There were also gliders on that field.

One observation - for the most part firewalls are usually monel or stainless steel - that looks like its all aluminum. Can you conform that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back