Grumman HU-16B Albatross help needed (RCAF CSR-110 Albatross)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those are the correct station drawings for the Canadian CSR-110s & Japanese HU-16Bs, they were the last HU-16s built and were for all practical purposes identical in construction with the exception of the Tri-Phibian mode for the Canadian aircraft. About half of the CSR-110s were built to be Tri-Phibians with the addition of a retractable hull ski mounted on the keel and removable outrider stabilizers on the tips of the floats. The earliest CSR-110s had an external hull ski, this was later modified to fit flush with the rest of the keel. It is distinguishable by a notch sometimes seen in profile photos. All of the CSR-110s had the late tip floats with the Tri-Phibian outrigger mounting, this was standard on all HU-16s leaving the factory from the late 1950s. The first image shows the early external keel, all the others show the built in keel.
! CSR-110 early © 2023.jpg
! CSR-110 9301 Major Don Pyatt via David Pyatt   2000x1333 © 2023.jpg
! CSR-110 9310  on snow 1 via Keith Larsen   2048x1348 © 2023.jpg
! CSR-110 9310  on snow 2 via Keith Larsen ccc2   2048x1370 © 2023.jpg

Yes. I think we are on the same page, the 70" plug that Grumman added outboard of the nacelle would have the same airfoil shape as the center section, at least on the inboard side. And in all probability the outboard side as well. When the outboard wing section was redesigned to eliminate the slots, that first inboard rib is possibly where the added 'cuff' started, and increased in droop as it progressed to the tip. That would serve the requirement of controlling where the flow separation started.

Thanks, it's clearer now what is required for the conversion!

Exactly. It is as you said. So now having this you may find the shape of all he wing airfoils from the extension to the wing tip. It can be done in a graphic way I use if I need to find an intermediate cross-section between two different shapes.

Those are the correct station drawings for the Canadian CSR-110s & Japanese HU-16Bs, they were the last HU-16s built and were for all practical purposes identical in construction with the exception of the Tri-Phibian mode for the Canadian aircraft. About half of the CSR-110s were built to be Tri-Phibians with the addition of a retractable hull ski mounted on the keel and removable outrider stabilizers on the tips of the floats. The earliest CSR-110s had an external hull ski, this was later modified to fit flush with the rest of the keel. It is distinguishable by a notch sometimes seen in profile photos. All of the CSR-110s had the late tip floats with the Tri-Phibian outrigger mounting, this was standard on all HU-16s leaving the factory from the late 1950s. The first image shows the early external keel, all the others show the built in keel.View attachment 722819View attachment 722820View attachment 722821View attachment 722822
Thanks, those are excellent photos!
I did not know that all CSR-110's had the ski fitting on the wing floats, something else to add!
Would you know which serial numbers were built without the Tri-Phibian feature (this is complicated enough!)

Thanks,
Colin

Thanks, those are excellent photos!
I did not know that all CSR-110's had the ski fitting on the wing floats, something else to add!
Would you know which serial numbers were built without the Tri-Phibian feature (this is complicated enough!)

Thanks,
Colin
I can figure it out after while, there were only 10 airplanes. Got a few chores to do first.

I can figure it out after while, there were only 10 airplanes. Got a few chores to do first.
Near as I can figure out 8 of the 10 had the ski. all but 9305 and 9309 had them, BUT adding the ski is no big deal. When it's retracted it hardly shows. You would have to scribe 2 parallel lines to the keel, file a small notch on the keel for the hinge and make a small piece for the retraction strut behind the step. Compared to the rest of the conversion, nothing to it.
! HU-16 Triphibian ski  1 © copy.jpg
! HU-16 Triphibian ski  2 © copy.jpg
! HU-16 Triphibian ski  3 © copy.jpg

Near as I can figure out 8 of the 10 had the ski. all but 9305 and 9309 had them, BUT adding the ski is no big deal. When it's retracted it hardly shows. You would have to scribe 2 parallel lines to the keel, file a small notch on the keel for the hinge and make a small piece for the retraction strut behind the step. Compared to the rest of the conversion, nothing to it.View attachment 722898View attachment 722900View attachment 722901
Those photo's are marvelous, thank you so very much! This 'little' project is all coming into focus now!
I'm thinking this will be next up, after I finish my 2 Kingfishers. I can hardly wait to start hacking and chopping!

Those photo's are marvelous, thank you so very much! This 'little' project is all coming into focus now!
I'm thinking this will be next up, after I finish my 2 Kingfishers. I can hardly wait to start hacking and chopping!
Hoping to see the build here.:thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back