First Light to air on BBC 2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I first saw the programme on the Wellington. Which was about the man women who built a Wellington in a record breaking attempt. This 'attempt' was filmed in part for propaganda purposes - even had an American narrator. The original film was being shown only recently, to the people who were involved with the 'attempt' - with them being interviewed separately, intersperced with newsreel film.
A very interesting programme, of what people endured.

Re: Geoffrey Wellum - First Light, I'm surprised by the negative comments.
I thought the 'drama' part brought to life the words of the pilot himself. I thought the actor did the part justice - from bravado to culture shock. I thought the contrast between the intensity of battle, to the need to erase it with the cammeraderie of the 'pub' was well, depicted, together with the apparent callous detachment of those who had just been shot down.
Using clips from Battle of Britain film, well well done, good way of saving money while still giving some 'authenticity' to it.

It's all subjective Merlin, I'm just saying it didn't do much for me, I thought the Wellington show much superior as there was no attempt to dramatise it. I've read on other forums that many enjoyed First Light - it just comes down to whether you prefer a documentary or a drama. Trying to do both ill-serves the subject matter in my opinion.

Last edited:
I first saw the programme on the Wellington. Which was about the man women who built a Wellington in a record breaking attempt. This 'attempt' was filmed in part for propaganda purposes - even had an American narrator. The original film was being shown only recently, to the people who were involved with the 'attempt' - with them being interviewed separately, intersperced with newsreel film.
A very interesting programme, of what people endured.

Re: Geoffrey Wellum - First Light, I'm surprised by the negative comments.
I thought the 'drama' part brought to life the words of the pilot himself. I thought the actor did the part justice - from bravado to culture shock. I thought the contrast between the intensity of battle, to the need to erase it with the cammeraderie of the 'pub' was well, depicted, together with the apparent callous detachment of those who had just been shot down.
Using clips from Battle of Britain film, well well done, good way of saving money while still giving some 'authenticity' to it.

Merlin

I suppose its impossible to know what is good or bad acting as the situation was so unnatural. I remember reading one account by a pilot who got shot down early in the morning and went back to his airfield with all his flying gearon by tube. In all the battle he said that was his most surreal experience, Ive no idea how an actor would portray it.

I agree with Merlin in relation to both films.

The main debate here seems to be in relation to the Geoffry Wellum 'First Light' drama, and I thought it was handled very well. The retouched 'Battle of Britain' film scenes were very good/functional, but the focus on the emotional relationships was excellent. The development leading to the loss of one of his comrades seemed real, and even the scene when he revisited his bedroom in the family home was very touching.

"First Light" a feature length program about the BoB is scheduled to aire on BBC2 on tuesday sept 14 @ 9pm. its based on Geoffrey Wellum's autobiography by the same name. hopefully BBC america will aire this sometime in the future. so enjoy boys...and girls..

there's more about the BoB series on the BBC here"
BBC - The Battle Of Britain Season on BBC TV

There is an evening of BoB programmes on BBC 4 tonight.

Hi again Terry and thanks for the iPlayer-info, I'll give it a go and see if it'll work here. ;) :thumbleft:

EDIT: Couldn't find it in itv.com, and the BBC site told me that it wasn't available in my area. *sulks, then pouts*
Ah well, thanks anyway, it was definitely worth a try. ;)

I hope this is ok but in case you don't know of them here are a couple of suggestions.....

The - TheBox :: Login - is your friend.
Also - Home - UKNova.

These sites have capped numbers so if you can't get in now keep trying, you will eventually.
They seem to end up with everything, or almost everything on British TV.
UKNova is strictly legal, so anything out on DVD or announced as coming out on DVD will not be there.

The Box is a little less, er, rigid, so it's up to you whether you wish to take the chance.
As a British TV licence payer I consider that I have already contributed/paid for it and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't use those sites seeing as it's really no different than recording with video tape or Sky+.

Non-Brits may see it differently.
But there's the info, it's up to you ifor how you use it.
Hope it helps. :angel7:

Tonight in UK on Channel more 4 at 9PM the unseen films. I enjoyed last week there was a lot of comments from veterans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back