Fitness/PT program's for ww2 aircrew/pilots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Howdy,

What were the fitness/PT programs that aircrew and pilots underwent before assignment to squadrons etc?
Comparatively which country had the most rigorous and is there evidence that there was a clear benefit from this?

Just a random question I've always wondered about.
Wouldn't mind trying to follow a weeks worth of it and see if I can shed a few lb's lol.

Cheers Chris

I haven't actually heard, or read about, any fitness programme, apart from the normal PT during Basic training. Maybe it was the ability to drink eleventeen pints in the Mess after an 'Op' ?

That and at least a pack a day of unfiltered cigarettes.

One wonders how much better USAAF and RAF aircrew would have performed, especially at high altitudes, if they were non-smokers.

Terry, any idea what the Basic training PT was?

Far as I know, just an extension of what would have been done at school, with push ups, running, running on the spot etc etc. Most RAF stations had a gym of sorts, with various equipment, and from what I can gather, it was up to the individual to partake of this, and, of course, when time allowed, games such as football, rugby, cricket etc.
There were, however, regular drills for parachute exits, ditching and dinghy drill, some of the latter on the station, or at a local swimming pool.

Quality, thanks Terry. Seems like the PT was not as "focused" or "enforced" as is now days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back