Fleet Air Arm Avengers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
This has been thrown together to help Cory (Catch 22) with his PTO Group Build entry, but it might be useful to others for the future. It's in no way a full account of FAA Avengers in the PTO, and there may be some slight inaccuracies regarding serial numbers related to model number, although I think I have sorted the conflictions of information arising from various sources.
If any one wants to add info or pics to this thread, by all means do so.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - The Grumman Avenger in Royal Navy FAA Service.pdf
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,683
Glad it's useful Cory. The FAA Avengers still had a crew of three, far as I know, but there was a seat in the centre cockpit, as per my build. You'll need to cut off some of the equipment on the rear part of the floor, PART 25B, and either find or make a suitable seat. The pics in my build should give an idea of what's required. Also, omit part 32A, and if you can, shave off the locating 'rack' for this on the port wall, if you are going to add the frames and stringers from scratch.
When you get around to the build, you might need some help with the cockpit assembly, even with the AM instruction sheet, as there are some bits that really need better illustration. Just give me a shout when you're ready, and I'll also e-mail the AM instructions.

Well, I sprayed the cockpit last night to get better coverage because that interior green is so thin. I didn't remove that detail though! I recalled from your thread that you had, and I looked at it but deemed it too difficult for my skills and I figured I'd just screw it up. Now it looks like I don't have a choice! I'll go back and remove it this morning. I'm going to paint all the little details before I actually put anything together, but whenever you have the time (or are able due to your internet) it would be awesome to have those AM plans. Thanks again Terry!

OK mate, you can get away with leaving the side wall 'rack' in place, as it can pass for framework, but you'll still need to remove some of the floor equipment if a seat is to be fitted.
Now, the instrument panel. It's up to you which way you paint it, but, the starboard side has a panel that needs to be folded up, or cut off, as shown in the AM sheet. I found it better to cut it off, then glue to the side console on PART 30A.
PART 31A shows the bottom section needs to be folded up 90 degrees. this is almost right, but pics of the real thing show that this side console slopes slightly. Fold it, glue the part in place, then fix the folded part with CA glue underneath, otherwise it'll want to 'flop' back down again! This will make more sense when you see the AM sheet, and combine it with the Italeri sheet. I'll log out now and try to e-mail the AM sheet, but it might take a bit of time with this bl**dy slow 'net connection!
BTW, there's some colour interior shots on the Kiwi Wings web-site that are useful, mainly for the pilot's cockpit, but bear in mind some of the original equipment fit is missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back