Flyboys

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

elmilitaro

Senior Airman
May 12, 2005
Texas
Hey guys I was reading a good book this weekend it was called "Flyboys" and it was written by James Bradley. This book talks about the flyboys that crash-landed on Chichi Jima and their fate.

I was wondering if anyone else read it to?

It also talks about how everybody considers death bad if someone else kills other people but we don't consider it bad if we kill other people. I know some of ya'll might be kind of confused but you have to read the book to understand more.

That's the Island George Bush Sr. was bombing when he was shot down in WW2
10.jpg
Unk

Some parts were just so hard to read that i felt like crying as I read them. It actually shows the reality that happened during this period which may cause the most hardened veteran to break down and cry.

Really? :shock:

I mean, whoa, I haven't. Where was this at. (If you don't wan't to answer you don't have to.)

My brother is reading that book. He says its a good read. he did find some parts disturbing, but he has read other books on Japanese treatment of POWs and watched documentaries on it so he is not affected too badly.

I am reading this book right now. I never knew some of the facts behind what brought Japan into war with China. Also, I knew Japan wasn't big on surrendering but I had no idea on what they did to our and how they looked down on it. I have a lot of books on World War 2 Aviation but this one gives the best acount for what happened after you were shot down. I used to look at it like you were shot down and that was the end of the story. That's really not the case. It's just the start.

Vassili Zaitzev said:
My brother is reading that book. He says its a good read. he did find some parts disturbing, but he has read other books on Japanese treatment of POWs and watched documentaries on it so he is not affected too badly.

I'll do my periodic plug...

Read "Surviving the Day." It was written by my wife's grandfather Lt. Col Frank Grady. He was on Mac Arthur's staff and was captured on Bataan.

there is one photo that disturbed me. It was taken in a concentration camp in Europe at the end of the war. It showed a holocaust survivor who was thin and bones showing with a plate of food in his lap, he was staring at the camera with sad eyes. When I saw the photo, I wanted to cry.

book1182 said:
I am reading this book right now. I never knew some of the facts behind what brought Japan into war with China. Also, I knew Japan wasn't big on surrendering but I had no idea on what they did to our and how they looked down on it. I have a lot of books on World War 2 Aviation but this one gives the best acount for what happened after you were shot down. I used to look at it like you were shot down and that was the end of the story. That's really not the case. It's just the start.

Thats a great picture of B17 C or D I flew in them while I was in B17 transiion school. It was about 20 miles per hour faster then the E,F and G

A few years late, but I just read this book. Ive been staring at it on shelves for years.

I had never heard of Chichi Jima before this. Truly sad story. What touched me was Marve Mershon gre up in the area i now live. And the picture of him in the 'Pike Bar'. Is where my workplace now stands....

Im glad their parents never found out the graphic details. Good choice by whoever kept it a secret. Im quite sure the fragile state the parents were in may have pushed some over the edge had they known their suffering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back