Flying Legends 2019.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The lenses are the same type I had before (the ones that got stolen), but the 24 mpx of the cameras really helps.
I need to check the D 5200 with 18 - 55 mm lens though, as the exposure and focusing is not quite to my liking - need to make some adjustments.

Heck, I have enough trouble holding the 300 mm lens - a 1200 would totally knacker me !!

On with with the show, and 'The Joker' slot, where, this time, the Bearcat and 'Prototype' Sea Fury (ex-Iraqi, non-folding wings) filled in whilst the fighters flew off to form up for the 'Balbo'.
This and the next post show the pair doing their stuff, but I'll admit some of the pics are a bit below standard - I guess i must have been getting tired by this point.

My final two selections are in this and the next post, with the 'Joker' doing its final pass, and the 'Balbo' approaching and flying over the field, and a few random shots from various parts of the show.
The 'Balbo' was much smaller this year, consisting of just twenty three fighters, unlike previous years, where virtually the entire display fleet took part, but still impressive. Of necessity, the 'Balbo' shots are rather small, in order to include the entire formation.

The final selection from me, with some more random shots from the show.
Thanks for your interest and compliments, and I hope you've enjoyed this coverage of 'Flying Legends 2019'.
Next show will probably be the September airshow at Duxford, although I just might go to the Little Gransden show at the end of August.

Thanks Grant, and yes, we had a great BBQ on Sunday evening - so good I forgot to take some pics (Well, OK, I was incapable of taking any pics !!).

Hi Terry, curious to know if you know if the Buchons were an improvement over the 109's?

Terry, I was fortunate to be able to fly in Aluminum Overcast earlier this year, even got to do "I can see my house from here"! A fantastic experience and really helps to bring home some of the experiences our boys went through. I could couple up the flying with my own personal experience of being on the receiving end while stuck in a turret! Lest we forget.

Whether or not the 'Buchon' was an improvement (on the '109G) is probably debatable.
However, when the 'Buchons' were visually modified, in Spain, for the BoB movie in 1968, the Chief Pilot at the time Commandante Pedro Santa Cruz, after test-flying one of the modified aircraft (wings 'clipped' and fences removed to resemble a '109E, tail struts added, and dummy cannon etc etc), is known to have commented that the performance and handling was much improved, and thought that perhaps this should have been dome when they were in service.
As Cmd. Santa Cruz was a very experienced pilot, and had flown early versions of the '109 during the Spanish Civil War, and later variants in the following years (and eventually went on to be Chief Test Pilot for Hispano Aviacion), I would think his comments were valid, and worth noting.

Thanks Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread