Flying Legends 2019.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This and the next post features "The Navy Tribute", with the Corsair, Bearcat, Sea Fury trainer, Wildcat and Catalina.
For some strange reason, I only seem to have got one shot of the Wildcat ......................

FL 140.jpg
FL 141.jpg
FL 142.jpg
FL 143.jpg
FL 144.jpg
FL 145.jpg
FL 146.jpg
FL 147.jpg
FL 148.jpg
FL 149.jpg
FL 150.jpg

Thanks chaps.
Next slot was the "Flying Legends D-Day Tribute", with three C-47's, all D-Day veterans, and two L-4 Cubs.
As I'd been at the 'Daks over Duxford' event just five weeks previously, and already photographed these same aircraft, I didn't bother trying too much this time around, especially as conditions were particularly dull.

Coming next is a real newcomer to the airshow circuit, making it's debut at Legends this year ...............

FL 167.jpg
FL 168.jpg
FL 169.jpg
FL 170.jpg
FL 171.jpg
FL 172.jpg
FL 173.jpg
FL 174.jpg
FL 175.jpg
FL 176.jpg
FL 177.jpg
FL 178.jpg

Thanks very much indeed, Wojtek, Hugh and Paul.

As mentioned in my last post, this year's Flying Legends saw the debut of a very rare aircraft, in the form of the Historic Aircraft Collection's DH.9.
Until very recently, there were only three known surviving DH.9's in the World - in the Musee de L'Air, Paris, one at Saxonwold, South Africa, and a "civilianised" example in Australia, none of which are airworthy examples.
Following up on some rumours, and after many years of negotiation, Guy Black, of Aero Vintage, managed to rescue and bring to the UK two airframes, found in an elephant stable in India, the aircraft having been 'Gifts of the Empire'.
Whilst one has been fully restored to flying condition, the other has been restored for static display (the wooden airframe having suffered the attention of termites), and is now on permanent display at Duxford, the restorations having been carried out by Retrotec.
Built in 1918, the airworthy example is now operated by the Historic Aircraft Collection, and had it's first post-restoration flight earlier this summer, with 'Flying Legends 2019 being it's first public display outing, showcasing the oldest airworthy aircraft to fly over the weekend.
This, and the following post, show to advantage the wonderful restoration work carried out on the airworthy example.

More of the show to follow soon.

FL 179.jpg
FL 180.jpg
FL 181.jpg
FL 182.jpg
FL 183.jpg
FL 184.jpg
FL 185.jpg
FL 186.jpg
FL 187.jpg
FL 188.jpg

And now for something completely different !!

I'm not sure that this display fits with the theme of 'Flying Legends', although the Stearman was, of course, a major contributor to the training of WW2 pilots, and, although enjoyable to watch, even after seeing the 'act' several times over the past four decades or so, I think I would have preferred the inclusion of some Hurricanes.
Still, it was impressive to watch the power of these 'Super Stearmans' which, unlike the 'standard' version, have a 450 hp radial in place of the more normal 220 hp, and also have ailerons on the upper wings, as well as the lower wings - Oh, and I almost forgot - they also have an added attachment, in the form of a lady on the top wing !!

Still more warbirds to come, as well as the final 'Balbo' formation.

FL 199.jpg
FL 200.jpg
FL 201.jpg
FL 202.jpg
FL 203.jpg
FL 204.jpg
FL 205.jpg
FL 206.jpg

The penultimate 'singleton' display, before the fighters took off to form up for the 'Balbo' to close the show, was provided by the D-Day veteran C-47A, operated by 'Aces High'. Again, I only took a few, token shots of this display.

FL 207.jpg
FL 208.jpg
FL 209.jpg
FL 210.jpg
FL 211.jpg
FL 212.jpg
FL 213.jpg
FL 214.jpg

Thanks my friend - a few more to come, with the fighter take off, the 'Balbo', and some odds and ends.

Back soon ........................

A few odds and ends from earlier in the day - back tomorrow with some more airborne action.

FL 215.jpg
FL 216.jpg
FL 217.jpg
FL 218.jpg
FL 219.jpg
FL 220.jpg
FL 221.jpg
FL 222.jpg
FL 223.jpg
FL 224.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back