Focke Wulf Fw190 'family' aces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weinace

Airman 1st Class
Jan 4, 2009
Yorkshire UK
A good way to justify buying aircraft kits is to explain to 'The Wife' themes.
My theme is to be the Focke Wulf fw190 family and the way to expand on the theme is to 'pick' the aces. The top ace gets a 1/48th aircraft and second and third get a 1/72nd.. This gives a great variety of finishes and adds an bit of fun.
My next theme is Fw190 Geschwader, a lot of help being given by Aircraft of WWII members!!!!!
I would like to build 'planes of the following pilots but wonder if anyone can confirm my findings. I've read a 'lot of contention' re claims, especially for the Ta152, and before parting with my 'hard earned coin', thought I could be corrected if I've 'got it wrong'.

Focke Wulf Fw190A aces Otto Kittel 287 victories
Walter Nowotny 255 victories
Kurt Bühlingen 112 victories
Focke Wulf Fw190D aces Heinz Marquardt 23 victories in Fw190D
Anton Hackl 20 victories in Fw190D
Hans Dortenmann 18 victories in fw190D
Focke Wulf Ta 152 aces Joseph Keil 8 victories in Ta152
Walter Loos 4 victories in Ta152
Willi Reschke 3 victories in Ta152

A lot of my research came from Kacha`s Luftwaffe Page

Regards,

Weinace:p

Thanks VERY much Wayne, do you have a source I can access, abbok or a web site?

Regards and thanks,

weinace

Weinace, the Ta152 book by Hitchcock I recommended to you in another thread talks about Keil's missions. On page 155:

"Taking off from Sachau between 16:30 and 17:00 hours on 21 February 1945, Jupp claimed one B-17 shot down over Berlin. It was likely this was the first kill attributed to the Ta 152 but it is also likely the date was 22 February since there is no record of American heavy bombers over the Reich's capital the previous day. On 1 March 1945, Jupp Keil was up to his third mission in the [Ta 152], taking off from Sachau at 10:25 hours in a Ta 152H "number 1" (color unkown). This time he ran into a formation of P-51s and managed to shoot one down - the mission lasted one hour. Keil ended the war with five kills while flying the Ta 152H."

Keil did not have 5 kills in the Ta, this was his overall score while flying other A/C. In fact no JG 301 pilot scored 5 kills while flying the Tank, Loos may not even have scored more than 1 and Reschke maybe 3 at most. more on this stuff later. kacha really needs to get indepth with cross reference materials instead of quoting out of the jagasses book by Obermaier

Crimea!

Thanks for taking the time to send your extract. Book on order - hopefulyy will receive this week!

Regards,

weinace

Keil did not have 5 kills in the Ta, this was his overall score while flying other A/C. In fact no JG 301 pilot scored 5 kills while flying the Tank, Loos may not even have scored more than 1 and Reschke maybe 3 at most. more on this stuff later. kacha really needs to get indepth with cross reference materials instead of quoting out of the jagasses book by Obermaier

Thanks Erich for your information, I'll now have to change all the aircraft profiles with pilots and awards! Curses muttlie!!

Regards,

weinace:p

a short thing on Loos showing the descrepency in his flugbuch even: go to google then punch in Falkeeins blog. should be the second or so article. we of course have this info for our future book release, there is so much that is coming out behind the scenes the last 3 years which is really affecting the way we think about the LW aces records and how faulty the credit system was let alone the claims by the pilots themselves.

Thanks for your update Erich!! I hope not all information is wrong, I'm just thinking of all the 'Luftwaffe Ace' images I'll have to change - groan.:(

Any idea about publication dates of books you've mentioned? Titles? Contents?

regards,

weinace:p

no set time guys the materials gathered is quite slow on this multi-faceted unit much is lost the last war months. will keep everyone posted though

Wayne you hangin in there friend ? yes my mum in law appears to have besides a bladder infection which is quite severe a possible brain hemorrhage, she is checking out of life...........

Very sorry to hear about your situation Erich; have been through these bad times myself; if there is anything we can do........
Warm regards,
weinace

no set time guys the materials gathered is quite slow on this multi-faceted unit much is lost the last war months. will keep everyone posted though

Wayne you hangin in there friend ? yes my mum in law appears to have besides a bladder infection which is quite severe a possible brain hemorrhage, she is checking out of life...........

Hi Erich, Yeah I'm doing good thanks for asking....seems life is dumping on you and yours pretty heavily...real sorry to hear mate....my best to you and Kathy!

life takes it's turns ups and downs it is all a part of the epic we all live in guys - thanks !

working hard on all the titles more so this autumn/winter once we get back home from overseas. thus my avatar from II./JG 301 this in 1945 with my cousins staffel 5. not sure of whom the pilot is except for the late war Lederkombination, one wonders if he made it till wars end or fell in his Dora 9 next to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back