I just checked it out on facebook. That group has over 4,000 members...
Then there's another group "petition to have "soldiers are not heroes" removed". They have over 600,000 members...
I did notice however that the group is targeted directly at the coalition forces. Because like in my previous post, I agree that not all soldiers are heroes, for instance North Korean soldiers or soldiers from an oppressive regime. But this does seem to be political.
I read the explanation and it seems it groups a whole lot of people with different opinions. Some just feel that soldiers are not heroes just because they wear the uniform (which makes sense as I explained above) to people simply hating coalition forces.
Supporters of the group generally agree that the wars that our armed forces are participating in at the present time and in recent years are unnecessary and unjust. Therefore we don't feel that we should be pressured into offering "support" to people fighting and killing innocent people for causes that we don't believe in.
We recognise that the government are mainly to blame but also think that members of the forces need to take responsibility for their own actions in choosing to support these causes. Soldiers have free will and the opportunity to not sign/re-sign up if they feel they are being asked to participate in an unjust war, so they also deserve a proportion of the blame if they choose to stay.
We also find it amusing how so many of those who claim to "protect our freedoms of speech" tell us to shut up, or be duffed up.
Soldiers are not heroes. They can be heroes, they can act heroically, they can do heroic things - but the act of putting on a uniform and agreeing to put your conscience in a lockbox for the next so many years does not make your life more important than others, it does not make your opinions and insights more worthy of respect than others, it does not exempt you from moral judgement. It does not make you a hero.
I pretty much agreed with most of it. But that last part was probably a bit over the top and the following text goes even much further and moves towards sheer hatred for soldiers. I'm not going to copy paste that because some might feel agitated by it.
In any case I think that soldiers as such aren't heroes but those who risk their lives to fight for their country or for what they believe in are heroes. Best example there are the many German decorated soldiers of WW2. In later years they were scuffled as nazis but we can now see them as guys doing what they thought was right even if the war was unjust like the last war in Iraq. Yet they remain heroes. That's how I see it.
Kris