For facebook users...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MacArther

Staff Sergeant
Sep 19, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
www.edge-gamers.com
Ok, the title sounds odd for this area, but the point is that on Facebook there is a group called "Soldiers are Not Heroes". Currently, there is a group trying to get the first mentioned group removed or banned from Facebook. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I'm ok with removing the group because they are implying some pretty bad stuff about our troops.

Hi MacAurthur,

There's quite a number of us over at facebook...and a portion of them (myself included) have joined the petition group to have those idiots removed.

I'm not sure if the people that started the "Soldiers are not Heros" group were serious, or just looking for shock value, but they seem like young, bored school kids to me.

Either way, I think it's wrong to even joke about putting down men and women who serve. And not just here in the U.S., but all nations. These people put thier lives on the lines for their country and deserve respect.

I know of both groups, and agree with GrauGeist about them seeming like a bunch of school kids stirring ****.

But Facebook won't remove it, it's creating hits and populous for the website, and that's what it's all about.

I only joined Facebook because the forum was down for over a week. I do not go up there unless I have to, so I'm
not privy to the goings on. I have heard of the group who is stirring up the crap about our military. Everyone has
and opinion..... and you know what they say about opinions....

Charles

Every person that clicks the link to see the group adds another hit. There is the old saying that there is no such thing as bad press. As long as they keep getting hits, it makes them look popular. Like other idiots in the cross section of America, and elsewhere, just ignore them and they will go away when they realize they are not getting attention.

Every person that clicks the link to see the group adds another hit. There is the old saying that there is no such thing as bad press. As long as they keep getting hits, it makes them look popular. Like other idiots in the cross section of America, and elsewhere, just ignore them and they will go away when they realize they are not getting attention.

Exactly!... want to make money on the internet? EASY... generate traffic and sell ads.. the same people probably created a counter page "The Soldiers are our Heroes" and place ads on both... and when you petition against them, FB gleens demographic/psychographic information from you based on your FaceBook profile.

Dont give them the attention they want. IMO, use FB for connecting with friends and nothing else.

Every time on FB you "join a cause", play a game, take a quiz, or become a fan, the info is used by marketers to get in your brain.

Last edited:
I am on facebook and I just ignore them. They are not worth my time. Besides as Eric has pointed out that is what they want. They want you to click on it and bring that "hit". It is making facebook money.

Agree - just ignore them untill you meet one face-to-face then you could kick the living sh!t out of them.

well if the message is that it's not ok to glorify the military then I'm all for it. I mean ... I don't regard Iraqi, North Korean or Rwandese soldiers are heroes you know?

and then there's free speech I suppose. I joined the "i'm glad michael jackson is finally dead" group. Also suppose many will want that group removed.

Kris

It's sad to hear this news.
The same people who give them the opportunity to be the idiots they are are the ones they are defaming.

Wheels

This and civvetone's post make a valid point. I think these people are idiots, and I completely disagree with thier point of view. But freedom of speech and expression are cornerstones of western democracy, and western democracy is one of the things we are fighting to establish (or to establish the right conditions for ) in Afghanistan. If we do not uphold those traditions at home, there is no point at all in our troops dying in a bid to export them. I remember once seeing an interview on the BBC news channel with a soldier just returned from Iraq who was asked how he felt about being greeted by anti-war protestors. He replied that he did not mind - he was out there to promote and protect their rights and freedoms, and if they were there protesting, he had done his job right. It is one of the most thought-provoking and insightful things I have ever heard said.

Good point BT. I think there are way too many agitators out there but they are protected by our open societies.

Hey, I signed up three or four months ago and voted to boot them out. I thought I posted something about it. Guess I dropped the ball. Sorry.:oops:

Ah, we forgive you Aaron. :D Seriously though, I thought these guys were already kicked off from facebook. Some people just don't learn, do they. :rolleyes:

Well, guess facebook is the best place for them to spew their garbage, since if they were selling this stuff on a city street, or worse, in front of a VA hospital, they be dead.

Hello

I'm on Facebook as well and I just ignore all those groups that have anything to do with either politics or wars. However, I do support all those groups who are against intolerance, but most of the time I just ignore all of those groups. :)

Facebook is full of various groups, some are good and funny, like various fan clubs, and some are just plain stupid or based on racial intolerance or some distorted politics.

Just ignore them and they will be gone like they appeared, instantly.

well if the message is that it's not ok to glorify the military then I'm all for it. I mean ... I don't regard Iraqi, North Korean or Rwandese soldiers are heroes you know?

and then there's free speech I suppose. I joined the "i'm glad michael jackson is finally dead" group. Also suppose many will want that group removed.

Kris

I am a veteran of Iraq and I do not consider myself a hero. Why? Because I only did my job, I did not do anything to be considered a hero. Just because you don't agree with the politics does not make the soldiers bad.

I will tell you though that there are plenty of heroes that came out of this war.

This and civvetone's post make a valid point. I think these people are idiots, and I completely disagree with thier point of view. But freedom of speech and expression are cornerstones of western democracy, and western democracy is one of the things we are fighting to establish (or to establish the right conditions for ) in Afghanistan. If we do not uphold those traditions at home, there is no point at all in our troops dying in a bid to export them. I remember once seeing an interview on the BBC news channel with a soldier just returned from Iraq who was asked how he felt about being greeted by anti-war protestors. He replied that he did not mind - he was out there to promote and protect their rights and freedoms, and if they were there protesting, he had done his job right. It is one of the most thought-provoking and insightful things I have ever heard said.

I agree with you there. Freedom of speech must be allowed. I do not agree with the majority of anti military protesters but they are allowed their ideas and thoughts.

Here is another thought provoking thing that is related:

Remember,
It is the Soldier, not the reporter Who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet, Who has given us the freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and Whose
coffin is covered by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back