For facebook users...

Discussion in 'Modern' started by MacArther, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MacArther

MacArther Active Member

Junior Historian, Paintballer, Student
    Home Page:
    Ok, the title sounds odd for this area, but the point is that on Facebook there is a group called "Soldiers are Not Heroes". Currently, there is a group trying to get the first mentioned group removed or banned from Facebook. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I'm ok with removing the group because they are implying some pretty bad stuff about our troops.

2. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    Hi MacAurthur,

There's quite a number of us over at facebook...and a portion of them (myself included) have joined the petition group to have those idiots removed.

I'm not sure if the people that started the "Soldiers are not Heros" group were serious, or just looking for shock value, but they seem like young, bored school kids to me.

Either way, I think it's wrong to even joke about putting down men and women who serve. And not just here in the U.S., but all nations. These people put thier lives on the lines for their country and deserve respect.

3. Crunch

Crunch Member

Pest Control
    I know of both groups, and agree with GrauGeist about them seeming like a bunch of school kids stirring ****.

But Facebook won't remove it, it's creating hits and populous for the website, and that's what it's all about.

4. ccheese

ccheese Member In Perpetuity
    Staff Member Moderator

R E T I R E D !!
    I only joined Facebook because the forum was down for over a week. I do not go up there unless I have to, so I'm
    not privy to the goings on. I have heard of the group who is stirring up the crap about our military. Everyone has
    and opinion..... and you know what they say about opinions....

Charles

5. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    Every person that clicks the link to see the group adds another hit. There is the old saying that there is no such thing as bad press. As long as they keep getting hits, it makes them look popular. Like other idiots in the cross section of America, and elsewhere, just ignore them and they will go away when they realize they are not getting attention.

6. comiso90

comiso90 Active Member

Video and multi-media communications expert
    #6 comiso90, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Exactly!... want to make money on the internet? EASY... generate traffic and sell ads.. the same people probably created a counter page "The Soldiers are our Heroes" and place ads on both... and when you petition against them, FB gleens demographic/psychographic information from you based on your FaceBook profile.

Dont give them the attention they want. IMO, use FB for connecting with friends and nothing else.

Every time on FB you "join a cause", play a game, take a quiz, or become a fan, the info is used by marketers to get in your brain.

7. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    I am on facebook and I just ignore them. They are not worth my time. Besides as Eric has pointed out that is what they want. They want you to click on it and bring that "hit". It is making facebook money.

8. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    Agree - just ignore them untill you meet one face-to-face then you could kick the living sh!t out of them.

9. drgondog

drgondog Well-Known Member

Executive, Consulting
    agree - ignore is the best revenge and Facebook doesn't really care unless a group hurts them more than they help.

10. ToughOmbre

ToughOmbre Active Member

Retired from Verizon Communications - Now Working for Point Lobster Company, Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ
    Agree with the rest, IGNORE them!

And like Joe said, someday you might get lucky and get the chance to punch one of them in the face.

TO

11. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    The only problem is punching bozos like that in the face is highly habit forming. :evil4:

12. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    But highly gratifying! :evil4:

13. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    It's sad to hear this news.
    The same people who give them the opportunity to be the idiots they are are the ones they are defaming.

Wheels

14. Civettone

Civettone Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    well if the message is that it's not ok to glorify the military then I'm all for it. I mean ... I don't regard Iraqi, North Korean or Rwandese soldiers are heroes you know?

and then there's free speech I suppose. I joined the "i'm glad michael jackson is finally dead" group. Also suppose many will want that group removed.

Kris

15. BombTaxi

BombTaxi Active Member

This and civvetone's post make a valid point. I think these people are idiots, and I completely disagree with thier point of view. But freedom of speech and expression are cornerstones of western democracy, and western democracy is one of the things we are fighting to establish (or to establish the right conditions for ) in Afghanistan. If we do not uphold those traditions at home, there is no point at all in our troops dying in a bid to export them. I remember once seeing an interview on the BBC news channel with a soldier just returned from Iraq who was asked how he felt about being greeted by anti-war protestors. He replied that he did not mind - he was out there to promote and protect their rights and freedoms, and if they were there protesting, he had done his job right. It is one of the most thought-provoking and insightful things I have ever heard said.

16. Amsel

Amsel Active Member

Good point BT. I think there are way too many agitators out there but they are protected by our open societies.

17. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    Hey, I signed up three or four months ago and voted to boot them out. I thought I posted something about it. Guess I dropped the ball. Sorry.:oops:

18. Ferdinand Foch

College Student, sometimes a stock clerk
    Ah, we forgive you Aaron. :D Seriously though, I thought these guys were already kicked off from facebook. Some people just don't learn, do they. :rolleyes:

Well, guess facebook is the best place for them to spew their garbage, since if they were selling this stuff on a city street, or worse, in front of a VA hospital, they be dead.

19. Milos Sijacki

Milos Sijacki Member

student
    Hello

I'm on Facebook as well and I just ignore all those groups that have anything to do with either politics or wars. However, I do support all those groups who are against intolerance, but most of the time I just ignore all of those groups. :)

Facebook is full of various groups, some are good and funny, like various fan clubs, and some are just plain stupid or based on racial intolerance or some distorted politics.

Just ignore them and they will be gone like they appeared, instantly.

20. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    #20 DerAdlerIstGelandet, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    I am a veteran of Iraq and I do not consider myself a hero. Why? Because I only did my job, I did not do anything to be considered a hero. Just because you don't agree with the politics does not make the soldiers bad.

I will tell you though that there are plenty of heroes that came out of this war.

I agree with you there. Freedom of speech must be allowed. I do not agree with the majority of anti military protesters but they are allowed their ideas and thoughts.

Here is another thought provoking thing that is related: