For What Seems To Be The Norm.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the case of the F-22, I was told by a member of the SPO that the SPO chief and senior civilian changed out an engine on an F-15 so they could appreciate the difficulties the mechanics have to deal with. And as a result of their getting their hands stuck with safety wire numerous times, they specified "No Safety Wire On the F-22!"

Now, I am lousy at using safety wire, but I could only wonder how much it cost to design safety wire out of the airplane just because a couple of guys who had no idea what they were doing did not like it.

In another case, I got a quote for manufacturing some rocket engine igniters. $100K did not seem to be excessive for a special production run of a unique item, but then I looked at the details. The specs called for putting two milspec can openers in the box of igniters - not a bad idea, since you would hate to fail to participate in WWIII because you could not find a can opener. Checking the spec showed that those were modern day copies of the famous WWII P-38 folding can opener - and that those two were only going to cost us $3000. No doubt they asked for a quote on supplying two of them from a manufacturer, and the minimum order quantity probably was an 18 wheeler load of them.

And another factor is "other" govt regulations. Many years ago there was an airline named Republic. They were contacted by the FAA and asked to participate in a study into why their airline had the lowest overhead in the industry. Republic agreed, and the FAA explained they would have to sign a contract, since they could not legally ask for anything for free; the payment to Republic would be a nominal sum, $100.

After the study was done Republic was contacted by a Federal watchdog agency and told that under the terms of the contract with the FAA, they were exercising the Government's right to conduct a FULL AUDIT of the airline. This was a big 'effing deal for Republic; they had the lowest overhead because they did not have droves of people standing around waiting to do things like government audits.

So, if you ran a hardware store and the govt wanted to buy a hammer, given their right to do full audits or demand other such requirements, would $400 for hammer be excessive?

Last edited:
In "Car and Driver" magazine, about 35 years ago, I read the Gov't wanted to buy radar detectors. Yup, the kind in cars. A pilot was doing exceptionally well in air to air combat training. This pilot was using his own automobile radar detector and it worked better than USAF stuff. Some agency wanted to purchase a bunch. They sent a vendor a HUGE amount of paperwork. The vendor sent it all back. He told them " if you want, I'll stencil "NO STEP" on the boxes, otherwise, cash or charge?

The story I heard came through USAF AFLC sources. It seems than an F-5 pilot acting as an aggressor in Red Flag bought a Fuzzbuster and put it in the cockpit. The F-5's had no radar warning receivers. Eventually they noticed he was one aggressor they could not nail, no matter what they used, F-15's, AWACS, you name it, he still got away. Finally they asked him him what he had. I heard nothing about them buying any more.

The first Radar Warning Receivers used in jet fighter-type aircraft were portable receivers the CIA had designed to enable spies on the ground to detect and evaluate SAM sites. Some were used by recon pilots in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back