Forts, Fortifications, Citadels etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent thread idea, I'll have to dig up my old photo's from Fort Sumpter South Carolina, also have some from Fort DeSoto hear just off the coast of Clearwater, I'll try to find them this weekend. Love this kind of stuff.

Castillo San Felipe del Morro, San Juan Puerto Rico

From my visit in 2017

A monument commemorating the Battle of San Juan, 1625

Sergeant Mayor Ucleseño Garcia de la Torre Sergeant Mayor of the Plaza de San Juan. He joined the Spanish military at a young age and rose in the ranks. He may have fought for Spain against the Dutch in Flanders near the start of the Thirty Years' War. In 1609 he was Capitán of the infantry at the fortified city of Santo Domingo, Española (now Dominican Republic), and on October 19, 1612 was appointed by the Duke of Frías at Ventosilla, Spain, to Sergeant Mayor of the Plaza de San Juan (now Puerto Rico). He took office in June of 1613, and held it for twelve years. Don Garcia de Torres died on November 4, 1625 from the wound of a musket ball he received while defending against the Dutch invasion at the Battle of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Ucleseño Garcia deTorres was a Spanish military leader who held commands in Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico between 1600 and 1625. He married Constanza De Vivero Troche (who was the great grand daughter of Juan Ponce de Leon) around 1604 and eventually settled in San Juan and was based at El Morro. Shortly after he was married he fell in disfavor with some of his superiors and was jailed for 13 months. Upon his release it seems he resumed his position within the Spanish Colonial Army.

Between September and November 1625, Ucleseño and his oldest son took part in the Battle of San Juan which defeated an invasion by Dutch forces. Sometime during this campaign Ucleseño was wounded by musket fire and eventually died from his wounds November 4, 1625, two days after the Dutch were driven off the island. Ucleseño and his son were both recognized by the King of Spain for their actions.

Ucleseño Garcia de la Torre was my 10th Great Grandfather

Wow! That was interesting!

May their souls rest in peace!

1939 France BEF - R.E.s first Pill Box built in France

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fort Knox Maine.

Keeping Maine pine trees safe from Canadians for decades

It is/was the 2nd largest masonry fort on the East coast.

My grandparents lived about 25 miles away and it was a nice trip when on summer vacations in the 50s and 60s. Needed flashlights as it was NOT closed off like much of it is now.
Grandparents sat in the car while my older brother and I spent several hours exploring on each visit.

The two biggest guns were left during WW II scrap drives as they were too big to make it worth the trouble of moving them.
the weight of the barrel is stamped into the muzzle and they were just under 25 tons.

Apparently they tried to move one an gave up. That barrel was sideways in the 1950s.
The Brick structure in the back ground is the hot shot furnace.
Solid shot was put in the near end and gravity rolled the shot down to the opposite end the red hot shot was transported to the smaller guns to set fire to them.

Users who are viewing this thread