Found! YB-40 / B-17F Data Plate 42-5734

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"(YB-40) Delivered Tulsa 29/10/42; Biggs 18/3/43; Montbrook 31/3/43; Presque Is 30/4/43; Assigned 327BS/92BG [UX-F] Alconbury 3/5/43 PEORIA PROWLER; transferred 322BS/91BG [LG-T] Bassingbourn 16/7/43; Salvaged 20/3/44; Returned to the USA 2/11/43; Yuma 5/9/44; Williams 26/9/44; Reconstruction Finance Corporation (sold for scrap metal in USA) Ontario 18/5/45."

42-5733 / Peoria Prowler | B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress – The Queen Of The Skies

Maybe it is the real deal?
I note that it was mounted at one time, look at the screw holes and expansion and torque. I'm still wondering as the condition is pristine as I note to Dave T.

What am i missing ?

Is the data plate from YB-40 5734 ?
If so why does it have 6030 stamped on it ?

I can find 2 6030's

42-6030
Delivered Long Beach 28/6/43; Cheyenne 2/7/43; force landed base 24/7/43 with Herschel Patton; Lowry 28/7/43; Dalhart 10/11/43; 244BU Harvard 10/6/44; 505BG Harvard 16/6/44; 232 BU Dalhart 23/8/44; 203 BU Jackson 21/1/45; Reconstruction Finance Corporation (sold for scrap metal in USA) Walnut Ridge 14/12/45.

44-6030
Delivered Tulsa 11/4/44; 88BG Avon Park 23/4/44; 325 BU Avon Park 23/12/44; 4117 BU Robins 4/1/45; Rome 14/3/45; 3704 BU Keesler 5/8/45; with Ed Matack crash landed Handsboro, Ms 17/12/45; Recl Comp 28/12/45.

A/C Serial Number 6030 / Registration Number 42-5734. So 42-5734 is army number. 6030 serial production number.

Thise numbers are linked but historians mostly use the army number, so thats why we are used to that

Numbers you looked up are in the master records and they use the army numbers.

Lockheed (Like many manufacturers) gave company production numbers to aircraft and usually put them on the nose, a practice that was done when I worked on the P-3 final assembly line. They were usually a 4 digit number.

I note that it was mounted at one time, look at the screw holes and expansion and torque. I'm still wondering as the condition is pristine as I note to Dave T.

Those aren't screw holes, data plates are usually riveted. I've known many people who removed data plates from aircraft before they were scrapped. As far as the condition - if it was removed and stored out of the elements, I wouldn't question that. It wound not surprise me if the airframe that data plate came from had less then 500 hours on it. My query is more on the company name and why it says "Lockheed" in lieu of "Vega" or even "Lockheed-Vega."

Maybe I'm seeing things, but the stamping for the Model type appears to be V140, not YB40, and the plate seems to be in remarkably "new" condition, for something that's supposedly over 70 years old.
If it's V140, then could this be off a Lockheed V or VC140 JetStar ?

Are they not riveted on?
Rarely have I encountered the data plates riveted on, most are usually use small"P-K" screws. This not to say never as I have seen a number of
them riveted but more often than not, screwed on. Part, part modification, and component pates are almost always riveted in place. Just
my experiences.

Rarely have I encountered the data plates riveted on, most are usually use small"P-K" screws. This not to say never as I have seen a number of
them riveted but more often than not, screwed on. Part, part modification, and component pates are almost always riveted in place. Just
my experiences.
I've been in aviation for 40 years, worked on everything from Cessna 150s to DC-10s and many military aircraft, Every aircraft I've seen (that I can remember) had their data plates riveted. BTW, I'm an IA - if I came across an aircraft with a data plate held on with PK screws (unless they were one way screws) I'd have the owner correct it or I wouldn't sign off the inspection.

I've seen pop rivets as well

I've been in aviation for 40 years, worked on everything from Cessna 150s to DC-10s and many military aircraft, Every aircraft I've seen (that I can remember) had their data plates riveted. BTW, I'm an IA - if I came across an aircraft with a data plate held on with PK screws (unless they were one way screws) I'd have the owner correct it or I wouldn't sign off the inspection.

I've seen pop rivets as well
Spent almost fifty years now around aircraft. Began twisting wrenches in '75 and like yourself I've worked on C-150's, Pipers etc. Biggest thing I worked on was 737. But I digress.. Most of the military a/c plates I have were screw mounted from L-bird's SNJ/T-6's , C-54, C-47,Corsair FG-1D(beautiful yellow and blue Goodyear plate) right up thur the AH-1G's Cobras. I don't wish to argue, it's just what I've seen. It is nice to speak to you seems we have had a similar life experience as well as our love of aviation. Never got around to the IA stage, ex-wife was one, so I had my own personal one. Ha Ha

Spent almost fifty years now around aircraft. Began twisting wrenches in '75 and like yourself I've worked on C-150's, Pipers etc. Biggest thing I worked on was 737. But I digress.. Most of the military a/c plates I have were screw mounted from L-bird's SNJ/T-6's , C-54, C-47,Corsair FG-1D(beautiful yellow and blue Goodyear plate) right up thur the AH-1G's Cobras. I don't wish to argue, it's just what I've seen. It is nice to speak to you seems we have had a similar life experience as well as our love of aviation. Never got around to the IA stage, ex-wife was one, so I had my own personal one. Ha Ha
Well very cool! And your ex wife is an IA! I can understand!

I was on a project where Connie Kaletta was purchasing some 747s that were operated in China. The FAA wouldn't issue airworhtiness certificates because the Chinese pulled all the data plates off the aircraft! It was fun watching him argue with the FAA!

Well welcome to the forum - a few of us could be crusty but at the end of the day we share the same passion!

Seems like the original Lockheed Vega project V-139 was the XB-40. And Project V-140 was twenty YB-40s. I can find the USAAF serial numbers, but not the Lockheed Vega serial numbers.
Try Baugher's site, go to serial numbers and on the aac/aaf side put in YB-40, it'll take you there. He lists both mil #'s and manuf#.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back