Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepheard" movie.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Seen on the BBC internet News today, a short movie (38 minutes) has just been released, and will be streamed on the Disney channel from December.
Shot mainly in the UK, and featuring a Vampire and Mosquito, with John Travolta as the Mossie pilot (the Shepheard).
Travolta purchased the film rights to the book over thirty years ago, and has wanted to make the film ever since. At the time, he'd had a serious electrical failure when flying, and wanted to film the part of himself as the Vampire pilot in the story, who had a very similar experience. Now too old for the part, by his own admission, he'll play "The Shepheard" instead.
The two photographs on the BBC site show Travolta in a Mossie cockpit, and the Vampire pilot next to the Vampire, in correct period flying clothing etc.
Sounds like it could be worth seeing.

Notice anything weird about the Vampire?

ZjkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3NjAxODc0._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Most likely (hopefully) because they did not double-check the promo banner with anyone who knew anything about the airplane. Although I like John Travolta as an actor, his productions are more along the line of pulp novels than historical and/or realistic renditions.

Just watched it. Quite well done overall, and filmed at former RAF West Raynham. Only noticed two very slight errors (which is nit-picking, I admit) in procedure - saluting whilst not wearing uniform head dress, not done in the British Armed Forces, and some of the radio procedures. For example, the term "Roger that", never used, then or now, when it would simply be "Roger".

Seen on the BBC internet News today, a short movie (38 minutes) has just been released, and will be streamed on the Disney channel from December.
Shot mainly in the UK, and featuring a Vampire and Mosquito, with John Travolta as the Mossie pilot (the Shepheard).
Travolta purchased the film rights to the book over thirty years ago, and has wanted to make the film ever since. At the time, he'd had a serious electrical failure when flying, and wanted to film the part of himself as the Vampire pilot in the story, who had a very similar experience. Now too old for the part, by his own admission, he'll play "The Shepheard" instead.
The two photographs on the BBC site show Travolta in a Mossie cockpit, and the Vampire pilot next to the Vampire, in correct period flying clothing etc.
Sounds like it could be worth seeing.
Added to the watch list

Saved this to watch on Christmas Eve....so gathered with the family last night. Have to say I was HUGELY disappointed. They completely failed to depict the growing confusion experienced by the pilot as he tried to find a logical explanation for his supernatural experience. The Mossie pilot is supposed to be a relatively young Irishman and yet they cast 69 year-old John Travolta in the role, complete with designer-stubble beard.

Terry picked up a couple of gotchas (e.g. saluting without wearing a hat) but there were several others. No airman would be working on an aircraft in the line while wearing his beret - too much risk of the beret falling off and becoming a FOD hazard. Then there's a Wg Cdr briefing a Fg Off on the navigational route. Really? Never going to happen.

For those who haven't seen it, I won't go into some of the other issues I had with the film.

Hate to say it but I thought it was an awful interpretation of a favourite book. They could have done so much more with it...but, alas, they failed dismally.

BAH HUMBUG!!!

Oh...and Merry Christmas to one and all!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back