Fulmar in 1941/42/43: feasible and/or plausible upgrades?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I just discovered that the Merlin 30 was cleared for 16lb boost in late 1941/early 1942:
merlin-ratings_3jan42.jpg

so my chart with Fulmar II:
Fulmar_Martlet_HSH_FF_2.jpg

(and others) performance at 16lb boost was probably correct to about 4000ft and it would then gradually join the curve for 12lb boost performance.

Interesting that those documents specify MAP in inches of mercury (inHg) rather than the usual, for British aircraft, PSI boost. Was that because the RN operated a number of US types?

Interesting that those documents specify MAP in inches of mercury (inHg) rather than the usual, for British aircraft, PSI boost. Was that because the RN operated a number of US types?

It appears to be a UK MAP report, and I suspect that it is being written for US consumption.

I don't have access to my books, but wasn't the Merlin 30 a 2 speed unit?

If that is the case, where is the advantage of the Merlin 45?

I don't have access to my books, but wasn't the Merlin 30 a 2 speed unit?

If that is the case, where is the advantage of the Merlin 45?

The Merlin 30 had a single speed SC but with a smaller rotor and lower gearing than on the 45, so it produced a bit more power at the same boost levels (because of lower losses to the SC), but it could only maintain 16lb boost to ~4000ft on a Fulmar versus 16lb boost at ~13000ft for the 45 on a Spit V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back