Fw190 help requested

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gregbale

Recruit
Nov 24, 2008
Greetings to all!

Below is a picture of my best friend's late father posing with the wreck of an Fw190 in May or early June 1945. His tank destroyer unit was near Munich at the time, so I'm working on the assumption that it was taken at the Brunnthal collection point (note the Do217s in the background, and what looks like an Me262 engine lying on the ground, right).

I'd like to do a diorama of the scene, and I'd appreciate any input regarding the Fw190. The Werk Nummer 2394 is just visible at the tip of the fin and a quick check of online resources gave 3 likely production sequence possibilities, suggesting the a/c was either an A-4, A-9, or F-8 model. Based on the insignia style, the letter codes and what looks like heavy overpainting on the fuselage sides, I'm inclined to think it was an A-4 used as a training aircraft, but I'm no expert.

JFB resized.jpg

Any opinions regarding the aircraft and color scheme would be gratefully received. My friend's father was like a second father to me as well, so I'd like to do the "Old Man" proud.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

It may pay to post this over at LEMB, a lot of the guys there are familiar with these airfields during the last days of the war and might recognise some of the aircraft in the background, in turn they may have photos in which this 190 might be in the background.

The +DE appears to be part of the 4 letter stammkenzeichen code. It would be great to know if there were two more letters in front of the cross because you could go here to look up your subject. I did a short look-up and got to the B?+?? are and found one: BI+DE FW190A-4 WNr 0142431 but there could be many more 190's ending in DE that could fit the description. As mentioned above, you can contact the guys at LEMB to do a query on their database to give you a list of possibilities, or indeed they may know the exact aircraft.

Last edited:
Many thanks to all for your info and suggestions. I've posted it at LEMB in hopes someone may recognize it.
Most especially, thanks Crimea River [great handle, by the way!]. I was unfamiliar with that website - what a great resource!
Cheers
Greg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back