Fw190A-8 Red 19 JG300 camo scheme (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys, found another of my long lost models I built as a much younger self. I'm a bit stumped as to the colour I used on the fuselage. The base colour is a kind of light cream/salmon...lol. So I looked up some pics and came across a couple that display that same colour tone which I must have based my model on. Both are of Red 19 of JG300. One is from an Italeri 1/72 kit box cover. The other is from a book 'German Warplanes of World War II' by Francis K. Mason. Now other model builds of Red 19 I found show a plain light grey as the fuselage colour. Does anyone know whether this creamy salmon was an actual colour or is it pure fiction? Ok thanks.
Fw190 Red 19 book pic.jpg
Fw190 Red 19 Italeri.jpg

Red 19 was painted in the standard Luftwaffe Colours of RLM 74 Dark Grey/Green RLM 75 Grey/Violet upper surfaces and RLM 76 Light Blue/Grey on lower surfaces and fuselage sides.
The 'Salmon' colour would simply be a result of interpretation by artist and/or colour shift in printing.....

It was damaged at a later point and reissued to JG301 where it became Yellow 18 and carried Red/Yellow fuselage bands.

Red 19 was painted in the standard Luftwaffe Colours of RLM 74 Dark Grey/Green RLM 75 Grey/Violet upper surfaces and RLM 76 Light Blue/Grey on lower surfaces and fuselage sides.
The 'Salmon' colour would simply be a result of interpretation by artist and/or colour shift in printing.....

It was damaged at a later point and reissued to JG301 where it became Yellow 18 and carried Red/Yellow fuselage bands.
Ah thanks for that, looks like the Italeri box artist must've copied the book pic. Book was published in 1983, the Italeri kit released 1989. Too much of a coincidence for both to randomly choose 'salmon.' Hmmm question is can my inner anal handle the fictional colour or do I need to get some RLM 76 and re-do....grrrr

Neither the book nor the boxt art can be the source for the camo colours. The reason for that is that a such printing always isn't done with correct colours especially if the weathering is going to be imitated. A print shop may use the paints they just have in stock. No matter if these are correct or not. If it is quite close it is enough for using. I haven't met any general books or art boxes about aviation yet that could be accurate with colours. The RLM list of colours isn't used by the printers but the CMYK range or something like that.

I would follow the profile rather than the book and art box ..

red-19_0189-jpg.jpg

the pics source: Fw 190A-8 "Red 19" of 5./JG300 Ernst Schröder Gruppe Build

A couple of nice shots of here can be found there ... Fw 190A - rote 19,

Neither the book nor the boxt art can be the source for the camo colours. The reason for that is that a such printing always isn't done with correct colours especially if the weathering is going to be imitated. A print shop may use the paints they just have in stock. No matter if these are correct or not. If it is quite close it is enough for using. I haven't met any general books or art boxes about aviation yet that could be accurate with colours. The RLM list of colours isn't used by the printers but the CMYK range or something like that.

I would follow the profile rather than the book and art box ..

View attachment 665850
the pics source: Fw 190A-8 "Red 19" of 5./JG300 Ernst Schröder Gruppe Build

A couple of nice shots of here can be found there ... Fw 190A - rote 19,
Interesting how the centre right fuselage has its own 'scribble' pattern section. Actually kinda looks like they've repainted sections all over.

Actually you may be right. However at the end of war re-painting didn't happen often due to the lack of paints. But it is possible the area could have been cleaned. It was enough to wipe it with a rag and thinner or even a water to get smudges or different tone of the already applied coat. Certainly colours could be used for overpainting eg. numbers, repaired damages etc ... but these were mixes of paints they just had around often.

Interesting how the centre right fuselage has its own 'scribble' pattern section. Actually kinda looks like they've repainted sections all over.
There are known instances of right and left mottle patterns differing, possibly due to two different painters. However, the differences shown in the above profiles are due to the aircraft receiving the red band and additional mottling between October and November 1944. Note the dates mentioned in the profiles.

Last edited:
Hello Sir Francis
I have discussed a similar Fw 190 A-8 from JG300 too that was repainted during its service life similar to Rote 19
You can check the discussion on TOCH: Focke Wulf Fw 190 A-8 "Red 3+-" Kornjark" - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum
The repainting was not uncommon until the last days of the war. probably less frequent but was still done.

Rote 19 was a machine that went through the fix and overpainting was a natural thing to be expected.

Also, here on WW2A there was a discussion about this same airframe already: Fw 190A-8 "Red 19" of 5./JG300 Ernst Schröder Gruppe Build
and finally JG300.de has an in-detail page dealing with it too: Fw 190A - rote 19,
Try to find one moment in life of the machine & see how to depict it most precisely.

Best
M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back