FW190D-9 vs Allied fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ok maybe he wasnt banned, might be mixing him up with someone else !

my apologies old:oops:
Kurfurst (Dr. Millei Adam) is an extremely knowledgable LW aircraft performance expert. He was banned but I remained in contact and he was very helpful to me when I devoted a chapter to comparative performance of P-51B-1 (pre 85 gal fuse tank, P-47D-6, P-38J-10(pre 55g LE tanks),Bf 109G-6 (DB 60A at 1.3 ata), FW 190A-6 w/BMW 801D-2 at 1.42 for late 1943 in Speed vs Altitude and Climb Rate vs Altitude - all at max internal load combat weight. The US fighter peformance tabulation included wing rack for P-51 and P-38, and C/L for P-47.The 109 and 190 were tabulated w/o 503 or 501 racks. The next comparisons were for March through May prior to D-Day to consider upgrades to range for US fighters with dominant models vs increase in capability for LW.

The second set were for P-51B-10 w/85 gal fuse tank and wing rack, P-38 J-15 with 55 gal LE tanks and wing pylons, P-47D-10/-11 with W/I and C/L rack, Bf 109G-6 at 1.42 ata, Fw 190A-8 at 1.42 ata, clean - no ETC racks.

It was hard to nail down the entire LW performance data unti I reached out to Kurfurst, who supplied me with the specific data I was looking for to ensure accurate'best cases' for combat comparisons between the 8th AF and LW fighters most likely to engage. I definitely aimed at likely combat confing of US fighters with external increased drag due to fuel pylons vs clean LW fighter to maintain level playing field of capabilities with full internal combat load outs.

there was a british TV show called Fighter dig- Live!

about a 130 sqn Spitfire Pilot, Vic murphy

where the germans dig up a spitfire XIVe ( where on april 1945, both phil clay and vic murphy were shot down after they stumbled into an formation of 20 fw190's)

they said it were fw190s of the long nosed type

Kurfurst (Dr. Millei Adam) is an extremely knowledgable LW aircraft performance expert. He was banned but I remained in contact and he was very helpful to me
Is it time for an un-ban? Do not know why the ban was implaced, surely there was a reason for it , but it has been a while. I dont know the details.
Now if drgondog drgondog seems to believe this gentleman has knowledge and is willing to work with him, surely this would be a reason to reconsider..
I for one trust the judgement of a knowledgeable writer. Lets invite Kurfurst back.
Dont know if he wants but it seems the right thing.

Wurger Wurger Marcel Marcel And others

Last edited:
Is it time for an un-ban? Do not know why the ban was implaced, surely there was a reason for it , but it has been a while. I dont know the details.
Now if drgondog drgondog seems to believe this gentleman has knowledge and is willing to work with him, surely this would be a reason to reconsider..
I for one trust the judgement of a knowledgeable writer. Lets invite Kurfurst back.

Kurfurst is exceptionally bright and knowledgable. I never stayed out of touch.

There were a lot of spirited 'debates' involving Soren and Kurfurst and me and several others including Adler and Joe.

Kurfurst is exceptionally bright and knowledgable. I never stayed out of touch.

There were a lot of spirited 'debates' involving Soren and Kurfurst and me and several others including Adler and Joe.
Who is kurfurst

there was a british TV show called Fighter dig- Live!

about a 130 sqn Spitfire Pilot, Vic murphy

where the germans dig up a spitfire XIVe ( where on april 1945, both phil clay and vic murphy were shot down after they stumbled into an formation of 20 fw190's)

they said it were fw190s of the long nosed type
Hi
According to Shores & Thomas in '2nd Tactical Air Force' Volume Three, page 499, this incident involved I./JG 27 where about 20 Bf 109Ks that attacked the three Spitfire XIVes of 130 Sqn. which were on a recce mission. Two spitfires were shot down and one returned claiming one German fighter. The German claimants were Uffz Kurt Hackl and Walter Neumann. The Germans reported two aircraft lost during the engagement on 19 April.

Mike

Kurfurst.
Is not currently banned

I see. Good. I did look into his profile and i know he was banned. Although that was a time ago.

Never seen a post it was lifted.
Ohh well, must have missed it.
Hope he will be back. drgonedog mentioned he is a valuable source.

Hi
According to Shores & Thomas in '2nd Tactical Air Force' Volume Three, page 499, this incident involved I./JG 27 where about 20 Bf 109Ks that attacked the three Spitfire XIVes of 130 Sqn. which were on a recce mission. Two spitfires were shot down and one returned claiming one German fighter. The German claimants were Uffz Kurt Hackl and Walter Neumann. The Germans reported two aircraft lost during the engagement on 19 April.

Mike
So those werent fw190s but bf109s

Then there was a fw190 D-9 pilot who claimed

A spitfire XIV from the 130 squadron over dortmund

I think his name was Hans Marischka

Why did they say fw190s then
Hi
Because the pilot who returned mistook the enemy aircraft probably, to be fair they were quite out numbered but did manage to shoot two of the enemy down.
Mistaken identifications were quite common on all sides, for example according to Jiro Horikoshi in 'Eagles of Mitsubishi, The Story of the Zero Fighter', page 131, the Zero pilots claimed they shot down 17 Spitfires over Colombo (which would have been in April 1942), at the time there were no Spitfires there or even in theatre, there are many other examples throughout the war.

Mike

That I know. It's the Allied usage I wonder about. I've seen the ID posters referring to the plane as Zeke or Hamp but still many called it the Zero.

That I know. It's the Allied usage I wonder about. I've seen the ID posters referring to the plane as Zeke or Hamp but still many called it the Zero.
Zeke is the official code name for the A6M2, Hamp for the clipped wing A6M3.
I think Zeke was also applied to the long wing A6M3 and later variants as well.
Zero refers to any single engined Japanese monoplane encountered in combat.

Hi

Mike
there was also an spitfire XIV claimed by walter soffing JG 26 (need to confirmit, or wether it is a overclaim)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back