G4m Japanese Navigators Compass?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Konig

Airman
Nov 4, 2007
Hi all,

I am told this is from a G4m aircraft but am checking with the community to see what everyone thinks. Any info on what the markings mean would be appreciated.

The references tell me that it is a MKII Navigators Compass used on mostly twin engined Japanese aircraft but was also floor mounted in some single engined bombers/recon aircraft.

Enjoy the pics and thanks for your help.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Compass (Mk2 Model 2).
Manufacturor: Tokyo Kohku Keiki (Tokyo Aviation Instruments)
Mounted on IJA Type 99 Twin-engined Light Bomber Model 2 (Ki-48 Lily) in 1943.

It's a gem:)

Last edited:
Hi there,

Thanks for the help guys. Can you tell me which part of the markings on the compass tell you what aircraft it was mounted on? Or are there documents that tell you that this type of compass was mounted on this aircraft?
There is a number stamped onto the side of it as well if this helps. It also has a star in a circle stamped onto it as well and it didn't really come out in the photo.

Yep, it is part of my collection.

Thanks guys.

Here is the data.

Betty's was Type 3.
Here is also data.

Attachments

• Compass.JPG
    Compass.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Type 2 Model 2 Compass.JPG

I have to agree with Shinpachi; the top photo indeed appears to be a Type 2, Model 2 compass. This type was apparently used on the IJA KI-43 "Oscar" (among others). I am quite sure that it was also used on numerous Naval aircraft as well; however, the circled star on the data plate indicates that it was the property of the IJA, so I would look at Army aircraft (the "Betty" was Naval) since Naval Aircraft usually had an anchor stamped into their data placards instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back