Gallipoli (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

manta22

Banned
Aug 22, 2019
Tucson, AZ
When we were in Wellington, NZ we stumbled across an exhibit about the WW I Gallipoli Campaign in a local museum. The exhibits were organized by a movie director and the exhibit was absolutely one of the best that I have ever seen.
There were a half dozen large-scale sculptures of NZ troops that were extremely well done. You can see the scale by comparing the size of the woman to the right. It was so realistic that there were even flies on this Kiwi soldier's rations. All the materials were authentic- cloth, leather, etc.
The Gallipoli Campaign still is a sore point with Anzacs; they felt as if they were being used as "cannon fodder" by the British in Galliopli. See more at: https://www.wetaworkshop.com/.../gallipoli-the-scale-of.../

Attachments

• Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 3.jpg
    Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 3.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 23
An excellent exhibit really enjoyed it when I went. See these posts:

An excellent exhibit really enjoyed it when I went. See these posts:

The Te Papa display makes the Smithsonian look like a bunch of rank amateurs!

The Gallipoli Campaign still is a sore point with Anzacs; they felt as if they were being used as "cannon fodder" by the British in Galliopli.
A myth that never seems to go away (and I say this as an Australian who had a relative at Gallipoli). When you look at the facts, it is obvious that the Brits lost mamy more, as did the French (but you rarely hear about them at all):

Britain: 198,340 casualties comprising 31,389 killed, 9,708 missing and/or POW, 78,749 wounded and 78,494 evacuated sick;
France: 47,000 casualties comprising 9,000 killed & missing,18,000 wounded and 20,000 evacuated sick;
Australia: 26,094 casualties comprising 7,594 killed and 18,500 wounded
New Zealand: 7,571 casualties comprising 3,431 killed and 4,140 wounded

A myth that never seems to go away (and I say this as an Australian who had a relative at Gallipoli). When you look at the facts, it is obvious that the Brits lost mamy more, as did the French (but you rarely hear about them at all):

Britain: 198,340 casualties comprising 31,389 killed, 9,708 missing and/or POW, 78,749 wounded and 78,494 evacuated sick;
France: 47,000 casualties comprising 9,000 killed & missing,18,000 wounded and 20,000 evacuated sick;
Australia: 26,094 casualties comprising 7,594 killed and 18,500 wounded
New Zealand: 7,571 casualties comprising 3,431 killed and 4,140 wounded
23510650770_d43eb4f78b_b-jpg.jpg

The Gallipoli Campaign still is a sore point with Anzacs; they felt as if they were being used as "cannon fodder" by the British in Galliopli.
There's more to it than that. From being landed at the wrong location, to ANZAC's taking a key position, then handing it over to the British, who promptly lost it, the whole sorry campaign is an example of 'lions lead by lambs'

Another common myth is that the eventual evacuation was carried out without loss of life - the last Australian death on the peninsula was a pilot shot down doing cover after all ground troops were aboard the ships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back