Gallipoli (Dardanells) Turkey 1915 Photo Reconnaissance, original pictures (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree and knew that steroscopic photogrpahy had been around for a while, but as a form of military intell, it was very new. The British air services did not form the first heavier than air recon units until 1913, and lagged very badly in terms of the cameras they were usiing. The following article suggest that sterscopic capability was not available to the British (and americans) until after 1917.

Aerial reconnaissance in World War I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So while it was far from being "invented", it was definately a new technique particulalry for the british. we are back where we started. Is it plausible for the British to be able to take these photos with the technology and expertise they possessed with less than a years existence for their recon arms?

And therein lies the problem. The British dont seem to have the necessary technology and/or expertise, to do that, at least as a militarily efficient exercise, until after 1917. Im missing something here....obviously they did take this sequence, and one has to assume they were taken during the p[lanning stages of the operation (1914) but other sources are saying they dont posses that capability until later in the war.

you still need the ability to take the photos in a specific sequaence and spacing, which the British dont seem to have possessed until later in the war.

All you need to create a stereo pair is the ability to take 2 pictures a certain time distance apart which takes some maths, worked out during pre-flight planning based on aircraft speed and forecast winds, and a stopwatch...oh, and a camera capable of taking multiple frames. All of that was available in early 1915. Per this article in the Daily Telegraph, Lt Charles Darley of 3 Sqn RFC pioneered the creation of photo mosaics around March 1915 which uses the same technology as the collection of stereo pairs.

Thanks for the link. I suspect this could answer all the questions.
I am unable to find the full video, the ones for sale will not play in the uk. Has anyone found the full film I am bursting to view the rest.

Having done a little research, the third and fourth images that Cookie Bomb supplied above show Kilitbahir Castle, the three lobed fortifications with the triangular centre and Namazgah Fort, the large fortification complex next to it. They are located just across the Sea of Marmara in the Dardanelles from the city of Canakkale. I'm looking for more locations from the images.

Since the object of the third photograph, the fortress Sedd el Bahr Kale (Seddulbahir) known to the British as 'Fort No.3', and dominating the Eastern end of V Beach, was wiped of the face of the earth by the Royal Navy in 1915, I'm pretty confident those are contemporary photographs.
Cheers
Steve

More info on the photo recon aspects of the campaign. Having just read Cookie Bomb's link and the posts below by Ian-in-Istanbul, since the fifth photo down is at Cape Helles, the image was most certainly taken by one of the aircraft of 3 Sqn RNAS, which arrived in the region in late March 1915, which carried out a large coverage of the invasion beaches and defences both before, during and after the invasion on the 25th April. 3 Sqn was tasked with spotting gun fire from naval vessels over Cape Helles, whilst Ark's aircraft were covering the ANZAC landings further up the coast. According to R.D. Layman, who has written much on the aerial aspects of the campaign, most of the photo recon before the invasion was carried out by Flt Lt C.H. Butler using his own German made camera. A later camera was acquired from a French squadron that arrived at a later date. Butler is credited with taking some 700 photos by the end of June and the images contributed greatly to the invasion maps and disposition of the enemy trenches. By the end of the campaign, the entire straits had been photographed from the air, according to Layman.

Trevor, I have to ask, do you have the original glass plate negatives or prints? If you have the negatives, I'd suggest putting them in the care of a professional conservator. You can preserve your prints by placing them in an album or mounting them and again, you can seek advice on the best way to do this.

I have mounted them on card with non stick photo corners and then put them inside (copy safe) glass clear pockets. All contain no chemicals to harm photographs, allegedly.
They are in a normal binder in a fairly dark constant 20 degree room.
Keeping them in an envelope with other photos since 1960 appears not to have done any harm. In the long term, should I give them to a museum of similar to look after them?
I still don't know if I have something rare or dozens of RAF personnel have a desk draw full.
The 8th picture 'ANZAK' is Gully Ravine. Thank you Ian for your detailed research.

I recently obtained an envelope with what was descried as WW2 photographs. Yes some were indeed WW2, however 8 of them clearly are not. After some internet research I have identified them as 1915 Gallipoli WW1. I have had them inspected by someone from the photography museum and he confirms them as original.
Possibly taken by the RNAS from one of their six seaplanes. Flown out from the island of Tenedos. (Eyes of the RAF Roy Conyers Nesbit).
The picture s are Kilitbahir Castle, Hamidiye Tabyasi, Seddulbahir Fort,Chocolate Hill, Ari Burnu and Anzac. I think!
If anyone knows 1578591 LAC Lambert.F.W.RAF India Command I have another 40 WW2 pictures he or his family could be interested in.
Please buy all means download the pictures for your own research, but not to use for financial gain. I would not like to find copy's on flebay. Enjoy!
View attachment 265163View attachment 265164View attachment 265165View attachment 265166View attachment 265167View attachment 265169View attachment 265170

The Anzac one is to large I will scan it again and post it later. Sorry. Done it as follows:

View attachment 265376View attachment 265377

I have added a stereocard of the Zeppelin works at Friedrichshafen 21/06/1943 just for reference. This type of card was used for training at Bletchley Park.
Hi
I have three of these stereocards,Friedrichshafen,Essen and Cologne and am wondering where I may find more.I have recently acquired an Air Ministry Type D folding viewer and would dearly love to get some more cards to demonstrate the use of these to some likeminded friends of mine.I watched a BBC programme called Operation Crossbow which showed how they were taken by specially kitted out Spitfires and then how they were viewed and analysed on the ground using the very same viewer as the one I have and also much larger ones.Any suggestions where I may find other views of this type?
Cheers Malcolm

Hi
I have three of these stereocards,Friedrichshafen,Essen and Cologne and am wondering where I may find more.I have recently acquired an Air Ministry Type D folding viewer and would dearly love to get some more cards to demonstrate the use of these to some likeminded friends of mine.I watched a BBC programme called Operation Crossbow which showed how they were taken by specially kitted out Spitfires and then how they were viewed and analysed on the ground using the very same viewer as the one I have and also much larger ones.Any suggestions where I may find other views of this type?
Cheers..Malcolm

Hi
Cheers Malcolm
Hi Thay are very difficult to find now, a friend who used to work for a photography museum in London said "I have heard about these cards, however this is the first time I have ever seen any" I did see 2 on ebay a long time back and they fetched over £50 each, never seen any since. RAF Scampton have a wooden stereo viewer in their museum with a complete set. Well worth a visit, you do have to book in advance. Try and get a day when the Red Arrows are practicing, before they move.
Back to the stereo cards, I do have some more and a large Spitfire camera in it's box with all the parts. The Galipalli pictures sold at Bonhams I suspect they went to Australia.
You can make your own, just copy a reconacense photograph so you have two the same, position them correctly and 3D will appear. Not quite as good as the original 3D camera ones but pretty impressive. Look again at operation crossbow, they are using separate pictures. The stereo cards were for training purposes.

Hi Thay are very difficult to find now, a friend who used to work for a photography museum in London said "I have heard about these cards, however this is the first time I have ever seen any" I did see 2 on ebay a long time back and they fetched over £50 each, never seen any since. RAF Scampton have a wooden stereo viewer in their museum with a complete set. Well worth a visit, you do have to book in advance. Try and get a day when the Red Arrows are practicing, before they move.
Back to the stereo cards, I do have some more and a large Spitfire camera in it's box with all the parts. The Galipalli pictures sold at Bonhams I suspect they went to Australia.
You can make your own, just copy a reconacense photograph so you have two the same, position them correctly and 3D will appear. Not quite as good as the original 3D camera ones but pretty impressive. Look again at operation crossbow, they are using separate pictures. The stereo cards were for training purposes.
Thanks for the info and I will have a go at what you suggest as well as keeping a weather eye open for any more.I will also try and re visit Operation Crossbow!!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back