Gatwick Airport Vs Drones.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The couple arrested are already talking to lawyers for defamation.

I don't blame them. They were held for 36 hours, long after people, including the bloke's employer, had come forward and stated publicly that it couldn't be him because he was at work.

I wouldn't mind a bet that the couple were the only people known to fly a drone who lived anywhere near Gatwick. Sherlock Holmes would be proud of Sussex Police :)

Cheers

Steve

I don't blame them. They were held for 36 hours, long after people, including the bloke's employer, had come forward and stated publicly that it couldn't be him because he was at work.

I wouldn't mind a bet that the couple were the only people known to fly a drone who lived anywhere near Gatwick. Sherlock Holmes would be proud of Sussex Police :)

Cheers

Steve

They've been pretty incompetent to say the least...

This has been a poor show from start to finish. I am extremely annoyed by the keystone coppery of it all.
Thankfully I don't have much faith in our police so I have the luxury of not been surprised.

Here's the answer. Ugly gun, but much safer than shooting projectiles.
dronekiller.png

Now that this has gone full circle, a few comments.

It seems this sighting was initially reported by police. Were they trained to identify and verify rogue sUAVs? Did they defer this to another agency who might have been better educated and prepared to deal with an illegal UAV intrusion? Was anyone in the ATC system contacted to get verification either by visual or radar contact? Yes, even smaller drones will paint a radar signature.

Why this is so disturbing is there was a haphazard knee-jerk reaction and like someone said, "almost like the Keystone Cops." An innocent couple were illegally detained and briefly smeared by the media.

I recognize this happened in the UK but the same situation could have happened in the US or for that matter any country. The whole sUAV industry has grown so rapidly that establishment of regulation has been poorly developed, executed and disseminated to regulators, law enforcement and finally the general public. In the middle of the mess you have the press who just continues to throw gasoline into the fire. Mind you there are many drone hobbyists who operate safely and within the law, but this has gotten so out of hand that I see total regulation on the sale of any sUAV that have the capability or flying into controlled airspace the only way to partially mitigate the situation. I say this as a commercial airplane pilot as well as a commercial drone pilot. (steppin off soapbox)

Last edited:
It really is like something from the Keystone Cops.

After the initial reports of a drone Sussex Police launched their own to investigate. many of the reported sightings were almost certainly of those police drones!

Sussex Police:

"Of course, we will have launched our own Sussex Police drones at the time with a view to investigate, with a view to engage, with a view to survey the area looking for the drone, so there could be some level of confusion there."

So, it is entirely possible that one of the busiest airports in the world was shut down for about 36 hours because people reported seeing the police force's own drones which were looking for the original reported drone (which may or may not have been a drone in the first place).

As I said, it makes you proud to be British.

Cheers

Steve

One of the first scrambles of RAF Fighter Command was like that, with Spitfires and Hurricanes chasing their own noise reports around as spotters under the clouds called in reports.

Why this is so disturbing is there was a haphazard knee-jerk reaction

Wars have started over similar...

One of the first scrambles of RAF Fighter Command was like that, with Spitfires and Hurricanes chasing their own noise reports around as spotters under the clouds called in reports.

The first aeroplane the Supermarine Spitfire shot down in combat was.... a Hawker Hurricane! The Battle of Barking Creek:

Blitzwalkers: The Battle of Barking Creek

My concern in this case is the lack of logic or common sense or anything resembling logic or common sense.

We have to depend on these people. And based on their performance in this operation I aint feeling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back