>> GB #34 - START QUIBBLING

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
I know it's still a little less month away and we may have touched upon this in another thread, if not let's do it. If so, could someone direct me to the thread :). This is a Proto-type/Weird Aircraft build, none of which I have

Been looking forward to this one as I have quite a few in the stash that qualify:

1/48
Me-309 (Czech Model)
Shinden (Hasegawa)
XP-55 Assender (Czech Model)
XP-56 Black Bullet (Czech Model)
Pitcairn Auto Gyro (Williams Bros.)
9MA Flying Wing (Sword)
N1-m Jeep Flying Wing (Sword)
X-1 (Eduard)
X-3 (Lindberg)
X-15 (Special Hobby)

1/72
Arado Ar E555 Flying Wing (Revell)
BV P-194 (Revell)
BV-141B (Airfix)
Me P.1099 (Revell)
Fw 190 V.1 (MPM)
Nakajima Kikka Jet (MPM)
B-35 Flying Wing (AMT)
B-49 Flying Wing (AMT)
P-75 prototype (Valom)
V-173 Flying Pancake (Sword)
X-1 (Hobbycraft)
F-107 (Trumpter)

Now to pick the one to build

Last edited:
You guys could modify the model of a production aircraft into the prototype. For instance, one of the projects I'm planning for some time in the future is to make the XP-51 out of an ICM P-51A. Mostly just shortening the carb intake, changing the guns and different paint scheme and decals. There are many production aircraft you could do this to with minimal modification and a little bit of research.

Attempting fairly simple mods is an instant skills builder Robert. It focuses the mind on finding solutions, thinking laterally, and applying those solutions to a pre-planned course of action.
It is also a means of utilising the resources in the 'spars box', where a part from one kit can be adapted and/or modified to provide a needed part for another. (see example below).
Give it try on something simple, like the XP-51 suggested by Glenn, and you'll be amazed how things can suddenly turn out right, and how your skills quickly develop.

Pics below - from exhaust shroud to fuel cooler intake.

Mosquito PR.IX build 183.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 187.JPG

Hey guys! I've returned from my Central Asia trip but haven't ventured back onto the workbench yet. I took about 4,000 pictures and had to process/post them all. I've finished that work finally and have just about recovered from the jet lag so I'm almost ready to start modeling again. But personally... the current GB and the upcoming GB's (33, 34 and 35) do not interest me very much. Can't say for sure but unless an unforeseen subject pops up for me, I'll be residing more in the Start to Finish forums in the upcoming months. I have the Millennium Falcon that I need to start cracking on and I also have another 1/32 Dora on tap.

It looks like a bunch of great builds going on right now!

Welcome back John!

Robert, give it a try its great fun. Once you start doing mods and scratch-building you'll be hooked. I started making stuff out of spare parts and busted up models back when I was in my early teens.
This is one I did a few years ago out of two 72nd scale P-40 kits and a lot of stuff in the spares box. It was some of the most fun I've had modeling in years.

PA230517.JPG
P4120725.JPG

I have nothing for this build either, nor for the next ones coming up. I'm also not keen on kit-bashing something from my stash to create a prototype.The possibility of making this a split build came up some time ago and we could use the results of the poll that we used for GB 33 or do another poll. That is, if others see benefit in splitting GB34.

Simple....We want maximum participation but some don't have the necessary tools for the job.....

solution...let's get an alternate split item on the agenda quick smart....

me..I'm covered :D

J7W1 Shinden 1/32 or 1/48
J8M1 Shusui 1/48 Japanese Komet
and 2 partial started...
A7M2 Reppu 1/48
Nakajima Kikka 1/48

If we go trainers and transports would a former front line e aircraft reduced to an OTU be acceptable. I have a mk I Wellington I have been waiting to do up as a ship one of uncles flew in during his time at an OTU.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back