GB-52 1:48 Martin B-26 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Muri. Flies one combat mission and becomes a celebrity. USO Front for the rest of the war. Nice gig if you can get it. Everybody else heads south and pulls a full year or more in the combat zone.

Christmas from Model Hobbies

20211104_135941_copy_600x800.jpg

For the first thing, SCRIBING PL's oh i'm sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Understand. Just finished Midway Bravery about Jim Muri in particular as the author, a fellow Montana native, wrote about him and to some extent the crews of the other four torpedo armed bombers at Midway. Also reading B-26 Goes to War which I have in digital (Kindle) format. The B-26-MA conversion (well really covers all short wing types) is supposed to come with the torpedo but mine was missing it. I'm looking to do this pretty much as intended out of the box as a late model C-45-MO. Get the feel for the kit before I hack it to shreds in another build. Already noted that it's going to take about 100 grams of weight inthe radio compartment to bring the nose down.
Both great reads, I'm more partial to B-26 Goes To War myself compared to Midway Bravery (Too much Montana and not enough action for my taste). If you need any info on the early models feel free to check out my thread on my B-26 research or to message me, I'm currently scanning several rolls of microfilm from the Smithsonian, most of which relate to the early models. I see that you're talking to Greg already and he's certainly very knowledgeable on the subject!

OK as open for discussion. As this is a late model C build, I would guess only the forward crew compartment were painted Interior gree, the rest of the compatments, weapons bay, gear well etc would be NMF....

Inputs. having a time confirming as all the museum aircraft are painted but I don't necessarily trust that.

I'd need to dig out all my reference books to confirm, which I can't do at the moment, as my hands are too bl**dy stiff and painful, but from memory, when I built my model years ago, the nose and cockpit were in Interior Green, and from the radio room aft was in NMF.

From this article: Camouflage & Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part II)

"Martin seems to have not used Zinc Chromate primer very often. Most interior parts were left in bare metal or painted in clear lacquer. Only a few components like steel parts and rudders were painted in Zinc Chromate Yellow.

Production standards of the B-26 have not yet been sufficiently researched. The National Air and Space Museum has the forward fuselage of the famous B-26B-25-MA Flak Bait, which is the basis of the following colour information. In the cockpit, everything above the lower canopy edge was painted flat black paint, as was the floor, armour plating, and crew seats. Fuselage sides in crew areas were padded with drab-coloured insulation material.

Interior of the fuselage including the bulkhead aft of the cabin seats was unpainted aluminium with black floors and walkways.

The wheel wells were finished is Aluminium lacquer, with selected fixtures in Zinc Chromate Yellow. Photos exist of camouflaged B-26s that show Neutral Grey on the undercarriage legs and inner surfaces of gear doors."

The article is a bit dated now and maybe D Dana Bell has some new info.

I'd need to dig out all my reference books to confirm, which I can't do at the moment, as my hands are too bl**dy stiff and painful, but from memory, when I built my model years ago, the nose and cockpit were in Interior Green, and from the radio room aft was in NMF.
I'm not sure if this also applies to late B-26Cs, but you may want to look into olive drab padding instead for the nose and cockpit, with black for the insides of the cockpit windows. That's what's on Flak Bait, which is the B-26 closest to original condition as far as I can tell. I'll try to link to some photos of it later today.

Early B-17s at least up until the E model were the same way, but I'm not sure if padding was maintained for late war aircraft. I will take a look in my copy of Wolf's book to see what he says.

If it's NMF on the outside then yes, wheel wells and bomb bay are most likely NMF and the same might go for the inside of the tail. I recall on some thread that some veterans recall interior green on the inside of their Marauders, but we don't have photographic evidence of it. I'll try to link that when I can as well.

Edit: Whoops, looks like Crimea River beat me to it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back