**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Mosquito NF Mk.XIII/XVII - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Username: le_steph40
First name: Steph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Tamiya 61075
Model: Mosquito NF Mk.XIII/XVII => Mk.XIX
Scale: 1/48
Add-on: Eduard canopy masks and maybe some photo-etched parts for the cockpit and some scratch build.

The kit
61633SDC12279.jpg

In the box here

That's good!, Steph has been riding it for many years, and it stayed in the showcase of the association that it belonged to, and if it weren't for the fact that the transportation by land from China has been interrupted by the war and the shipping is done by boat (I'm talking about cheap shipping of course), I would have placed it myself but it didn't arrive until July... it's a great model and the kit is one of the best I've been able to assemble, on top of that in your hands it will be another marvel to see and enjoy seeing that progress...

Hello,

The subject will be a Mosquito NF Mk.XIX serial MM629 coded VYoY belonging to RAF 85 Sqn flown by Branse A. Burbridge between June and early November 1944.
It seems that no photos exists of this specific aircraft, so here is a profile I "tinkered".
Burbridge B. A.-Mosquito XIX, 85 Sqn, Juin-Nov.1944.jpg
The camo color was very probably MSG/DG but I wonder regarding D-Day stripes... On 1 May 1944 No. 85 Squadron was transferred to No. 100 Group, supporting Bomber Command's night bombing campaign until the end of the war. Some sources stated that all the aircrafts of the 100 Group had these markings, others said, due the night missions, this happened only on a few aircraft, and only if involved on operations over France...
I could choose to build this aircraft during Fall 1944 but if she wore the D-Day stripes, it's probable that the lower fuselage kept this marking.
Any infos or opinion to help me please ?
:)

Hi Steph. As always your questions are deep and arise from what has already been some extensive research on your part. I've looked through most of my stuff and can't find anything of use to answer your questions. Pictures of NF.XIX's are pretty rare - there were only 280 built.

I agree with Andy. Here is the only scan with Mosquito profiles of the no. 85 Squadron I found long time ago. Unfortunately none of them isn't dated accurately.

De Havilland Mosquito85 Sqdn 1944-45.jpg

the source: the net.

Hello

Thank you for your help regarding D-Day stripes. I searched more details about 85 Sqn operations; it seems that the Squadron stopped night fighting over occupied France from 1 May 1944, the date when the Squadron was integrated to 100th Group. From this date almost all mission were supporting Bomber Command's night bombing over Germany until the end of the war. This unit wasn't a part of Northern Europe liberation with its start by the "Operation Overlord", apparently no combats over France, so, IMHO probably no D-Day markings...
I hope I'm not mistaken :confused::oops:

Hello

Thank you for your help regarding D-Day stripes. I searched more details about 85 Sqn operations; it seems that the Squadron stopped night fighting over occupied France from 1 May 1944, the date when the Squadron was integrated to 100th Group. From this date almost all mission were supporting Bomber Command's night bombing over Germany until the end of the war. This unit wasn't a part of Northern Europe liberation with its start by the "Operation Overlord", apparently no combats over France, so, IMHO probably no D-Day markings...
I hope I'm not mistaken :confused::oops:
Argh ! I think this project will give me some problems, I haven't started yet and the problems are piling up.
I kept searching infos regarding the 100th Group and the D-Day markings and I found some profiles and models of a NF Mk.XIX serialed MM650, coded RSoJ belinging to 157 Sqn during 1944.
However this Mosquito wear the entire D-Day stripes and 157 Sqn was integrated to 100 Group at the same date as 85 Sqn to complete the same missions as 85 Sqn.
So I don't know what to do now. It seems that some answer could be in the book "The Aircraft of 100 Group: A Historical Guide for the Modeller by Martin Streetly"
I don't have this book but if someone here have it, I take all informations which could help me :)

85 & 157 squadrons went to 100 Group and relocated to Swannington in Norfolk at the beginning of May 1944. But on 21 July they both moved to West Malling in Kent for anti-Diver operations (chasing V1 buzz bombs) That lasted until 28/29 Aug when both returned to Swannington.

That may account for a change of markings as they would be operating over the Channel with aircraft of ADGB and 2nd TAF.

85 & 157 squadrons went to 100 Group and relocated to Swannington in Norfolk at the beginning of May 1944. But on 21 July they both moved to West Malling in Kent for anti-Diver operations (chasing V1 buzz bombs) That lasted until 28/29 Aug when both returned to Swannington.

That may account for a change of markings as they would be operating over the Channel with aircraft of ADGB and 2nd TAF.
Thanks for the reply: "a change of markings", do you mean D-Day markings worn from D-Day to late in August or the opposite (no markings until late in August and then added under the fuselage)?

Thanks for the reply: "a change of markings", do you mean D-Day markings worn from D-Day to late in August or the opposite (no markings until late in August and then added under the fuselage)?
The latter.

There is some information here about the timing of removal of the D-Day stripes. July/Aug is a period of removal but with no hard and fast rules.

Far as I know, the 85 Sqn aircraft did not have D-Day stripes.
I have "Aircraft of 100 Group" and will have a look when I get a chance - got a heavy cold at the moment and little strength.

Argh ! I think this project will give me some problems, I haven't started yet and the problems are piling up.
I kept searching infos regarding the 100th Group and the D-Day markings and I found some profiles and models of a NF Mk.XIX serialed MM650, coded RSoJ belinging to 157 Sqn during 1944.
However this Mosquito wear the entire D-Day stripes and 157 Sqn was integrated to 100 Group at the same date as 85 Sqn to complete the same missions as 85 Sqn.
So I don't know what to do now. It seems that some answer could be in the book "The Aircraft of 100 Group: A Historical Guide for the Modeller by Martin Streetly"
I don't have this book but if someone here have it, I take all informations which could help me :)
PM sent.

In the Streetly book, there is a head on shot of VY-W but I can't make out any stripes in the photo as the are is in shadow. An intesting feature is that the "W" is shown on the nose within the Squadron Hexagon symbol so your "Y" likely had that too.

Last edited:
I've now had a look through "Aircraft of 100 Group", and there's nothing conclusive regarding the D-Day stripes.
However, a photo and three profiles of other Squadron's aircraft show the stripes on the underside of the fuselage only, so it's possible that 85 Sqn aircraft had them during the anti "Diver" period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back