**** DONE: GB-58 1/72 He219 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would be careful of the Balkenkreuze for the Uhu. Looking at a couple of images with the kite I noticed that there could be different variants of the marking used. These could be from the standard LW crosses to the low-visibility ones. It looks like Germans tried to limit the using of the white especially for the night kites. So no strict rule for the markings. IMHO a pic of the particular plane would ne useful.
It looks like I'll invoke artistic license.

This is that bird in Farnborough, 1946.
I don't know if the size of the wing roundels indicates larger Balkenkreuze, or if they just wanted it to be easier identified from the air.
There should be (somewhere) detailed technical notes of it's colour scheme and markings - AFAIK these were always recorded and reported by the teams inspecting captured aircraft.

img_3464.jpg

Source: An RAF He-219 Uhu

Last edited:
Cheers, A4K, however, I'm doing the pre captured plane so strictly Luftwaffe. I think it will be safe to use black balkenkruez its a shame there isn't any pictures of the wings or many others for that matter. Given there's no evidence of what the real thing had it won't matter.

Cheers, A4K, however, I'm doing the pre captured plane so strictly Luftwaffe. I think it will be safe to use black balkenkruez its a shame there isn't any pictures of the wings or many others for that matter. Given there's no evidence of what the real thing had it won't matter.
To clarify... I meant there should be an Intelligence Report on her Luftwaffe camouflage and markings at time of capture. I've seen such reports for other captured types.

Yes I understand and if I had more time it's a good idea. I want to say thank you to all have offered an input into this build so far. Its getting close to finishing. A few more steps with decals on next, fingers crossed these decals were printed in 1991.

Quick question which size swastika 650mm or 710mm?

No black ones visible here either though in reality they would be quite thin:

View attachment 735027

The Uhu at the Smithsonian went with black and they do excellent research:

View attachment 735028
That might be correct for their Black paintscheme though Andy, but not for the overall RLM 76... hard to know without clear pictures of the original!

Not sure on the size if the Hakenkreuz offhand, Walter. Would have to measure up against photos. (Will try after work)

Possibly Evan. I took a look in Remp's book on the He219. Photo of crashed V9 in all 76 camo shows black crosses. He also has a profile of G9+FK in 76 overall with 75 mottles that has black crosses.

For the swastika, Ullman has tabulated the size as "420?" Indicating uncertainty. Seems small to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back