GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non-competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: FM-1 Wildcat
Aftermarket addons: None planned.

I will start on this build when I see light at the end of the tunnel for my zombie Anson. Here's the kit box:

24020501.jpg

I have not decided on which of the six (4 American, 2 British) schemes I will do for this model but it will be one of the 4 American ones. I built a British Hellcat some time ago and the schemes are virtually identical, so wanted to show something a little different. One of the contenders is a colourful FM-1 of VC-33 with temporary training markings while stationed on the USS Nassau. The aircraft can be seen with the markings "A2" and crudely sprayed "S29" in this interesting colour (!) film:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfkwjU8k6W4&t=7s

You might see a few parts cobbled together over the next couple of weeks, after which this build will be my focus.

Looks like "S-29" may have had British roundels at one time - note overpainted area on starboard wing.

Looks like "S-29" may have had British roundels at one time - note overpainted area on starboard wing.
Not sure Terry but if I were a betting man I'd say more likely the early US national insignia which, before bars were added, were carried on both wing tops.

I have watched the footage and I have to agree with Andy. These national markings weren't the British ones but the early US ones. Initailly these were without the white bars at six locations. These with the white bars and the red outline were used from June to September 1943 at the four places. These at top of the starboard wing and the bottom of the port one were overpainted. IMHO these stars on the fuselage sides were just "edited" by adding of the white bars and the red outline. If you have a close up at the yellow A-2 number on the fuselage it can be noticed that there is a small black digit 2 between the yellow A and 2 ones, the remnant of the old code number. Also the letter"A" was painted on the white bar. Contrary to the A6 that had the letter covered with the bar for instance. Regarding the white A2 code on the wing it doesn't seem to be overpainted but just worn out like the yellow A2 on the fuselage. What is more the marking was also applied after the old US marking on the starboard wing was painted over.
The camouflage seems to be the scheme introduced at the beginning of the 1943 and consisted of the Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue and White. However I have a doubt that the camo colours were used for the A-2. IMHO the camo looks like the two-tone one that consisted of the Blue Grey and Light Gull Grey. But I may be wrong though. Also it is possible there was a black small number 33 on the fin what is considered to be the squadron number. For example the S31 had the number 33 there. But the film presents a mix of takes of Wildcats and markings applied in a different time.
I have grabbed a couple of screen shots that may come in handy.

A2_a.jpg

A-2_c.jpg

A-2_d.jpg

A-2_e.jpg

A-6_a.jpg

33 fin.jpg

S31.jpg

Andy, have you noticed that there was still a kite with the old US Stars applied? It can be found at the end of the film.

star3.jpg

OK with my Anson in traction awaiting the wing gluing to dry, I made a start on this kit. I gotta say, Eduard is probably my favourite kit maker now because of the quality of their research, competitive pricing, details, fit, and quality of their mouldings. Yeah, their early kits had some shortcomings but their new tool stuff, like this one, is top notch. Here are a few sprue shots showing some of the delicate parts and thoughtful attachment arrangements. There is no flash and mould lines are virtually non-existent.

24020801.jpg
24020802.jpg
24020803.jpg
24020804.jpg

This one looked a little scary at first but I found that cutting off the part at the circular sprue and simply twisting the attachment points away from between the pushrods worked a treat.

24020806.jpg

Here is the engine assembled. Often, Eduard provides PE ignition wires but this time they didn't. I'm not keen on the anyway as they are flat rather than round. I may decide to add some wires if my mood takes me there.

24020807.jpg

The cockpit was partly assembled and here you can see the very delicate seat support rails. This is as far as I want to take this before applying paint as further assembly will make detail painting tricky.

24020805.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

OK with my Anson in traction awaiting the wing gluing to dry, I made a start on this kit. I gotta say, Eduard is probably my favourite kit maker now because of the quality of their research, competitive pricing, details, fit, and quality of their mouldings. Yeah, their early kits had some shortcomings but their new tool stuff, like this one, is top notch. Here are a few sprue shots showing some of the delicate parts and thoughtful attachment arrangements. There is no flash and mould lines are virtually non-existent.

View attachment 762386View attachment 762387View attachment 762388View attachment 762389

This one looked a little scary at first but I found that cutting off the part at the circular sprue and simply twisting the attachment points away from between the pushrods worked a treat.

View attachment 762391

Here is the engine assembled. Often, Eduard provides PE ignition wires but this time they didn't. I'm not keen on the anyway as they are flat rather than round. I may decide to add some wires if my mood takes me there.

View attachment 762392

The cockpit was partly assembled and here you can see the very delicate seat support rails. This is as far as I want to take this before applying paint as further assembly will make detail painting tricky.

View attachment 762390

Thanks for looking in.
Very nice Andy, and agree with re Eduard 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back