GB-63 1/32 Macchi MC.202 Folgore – Stormy Weather

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/32
Manufacturer: Italeri 2518

Extras: ASK 200-M32078 Scale Mask. Maybe a bit of scratch.

I have decided to do Sergeant Gualberto Benzi's aircraft MM.9454. He was with 396 Squadriglia, 154 Gruppo Autonomo C.T. based at Gadurrà Airfield near Kalathos, Rhodes in the Argean. The period is late 1942, early to mid 1943.

Last edited:
I can find no information on Sergeant Benzi save for one portrait photo.

What is interesting about this plane is that the squadron within a few months changed the positioning and colouring of the squadron number, badges and line code.

Initially the number 396 was in black and in front of the white band with the line number in red on the band and there was no Gruppo insignia. Then the Gruppo insignia (the pierced chicken) was painted in front of the white band with the Gruppo name in black. The squadron number was moved to the white band, initially in blue with the line number in red behind the white band.

Finally, the squadron number reverted to black on the white band and the Gruppo insignia name was changed to white. Sometime during all these changes, the name "Mirka" appeared on the cowling nose cover and is believed to be one of several female names used by the squadron.

I can find no timeline of these changes and just because I like the colour, I'm going to do the blue squadron number on the white band.

Thanks for dropping by folks and for the nice comments. Had a good day today and got a heap of bench time.

Engine assembly in stages, this being a Alfa Romeo RA.1000 R.C.41-I "Monsone" which is in effect the Daimler-Benz DB 601A built under license.

This is now ready for fitment to the firewall bulkhead which is the next stage of the operation.

Between engine construction I've also assembled the main undercart legs which are fitted even before the cockpit is assembled.

Finally I took out time to organize, spray and paint the cockpit components.

Users who are viewing this thread