Gear coming down when shot down?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bad-Karma

Airman 1st Class
Aug 5, 2014
Rock Hill SC
Hey Guys,

I've been reading a lot of encounter reports and noticed a pattern of enemies landing gear coming down before they bail out. Was this due to damage received or did this somehow steady the plane making for an easier bail out?

Thanks

I have just always assumed that it was caused buy damage that was being inflicted. I would imagine it would take a smooth character to have that kind of cool to drop the gear while having the plane shot out from under me.

I have just always assumed that it was caused buy damage that was being inflicted. I would imagine it would take a smooth character to have that kind of cool to drop the gear while having the plane shot out from under me.

Thats what I figured initially too but i've come across it enough times that it made me question if there was something more to it. P.S. what part of long island are you from? I'm originally from Queens but lived in Roslyn for a few years before moving down south.

Probably hydraulics shot out, causing the gear to drop, or, if an emergency landing gear air bottle is fitted and hit or damaged, that could force the gear down too.
However, lowering the landing gear is, or was, supposed to be an international sign of surrender or compliance, and it may be that, in some instances at least, this was a last desperate act, before the pilot realised it was too late, and then hopped over the side!
Also, in some aircraft, it could be possible to accidentally activate the gear whilst in the process of bailing out. For example, on the Spitfire, the undercarriage lever was/is on the starboard wall, and was a lever with a short, protruding handle. When the gear is in the 'Down' position, the lever is down, and vice versa. Exiting the cockpit in a hurry, via the small hatch on the port side, it would be possible to accidentally kick the lever down. The opposite happened to the 'Grace' two-seat Spitfire a few years ago, when one of the sponsor's executives was given a ride. On landing, having been instructed to move his feet and legs clear of the rudder pedals and stick, he caught the gear lever with his right knee as the aircraft touched down, whereupon the aircraft gently settled on its belly!
After repair, a safety guard was fitted to the landing gear lever in the rear cockpit !

Not sure about other types, but the P-51 undercarriage was held up by hydraulic pressure, apparently for the reason that if there was any damage, it would come down, rather than jamming up. That's why you always see them with the landing gear doors open, on shut-down they will open, and close again when the engine starts.

There's also the possibility of it being used as an airbrake, slowing the aircraft so there's less chance of hitting the fin/tailplane when departing.

I doubt that. Many fighter flight manuals/ pilot notes have specific bail out procedures, I've yet to see one that mentioned to lower the gear during egress. I think the priority would be to get out quick, especially if you're on fire

Last edited:
I read of one German Bomber that lowered the wheels as a sign of surrender over the North Sea.

I read of one German Bomber that lowered the wheels as a sign of surrender over the North Sea.

That's one thing, I think we're looking at the gear coming down after an aircraft is damaged.

And to add on to my earlier comment - if I was preparing to bail out at 350 mph, I wouldn't want to thing what else would happen if I lower the landing gear in excess of maximum landing gear operation speed (VLE)

It would seem to me that in the event of an intercept and you were not in a position to engage, lowering the gear as a sign of surrender or distress *may* avoid attack.

However, if you're in a Fw190 (for example) and a P-47 is already ripping you to shreds, lowering the gear is probably not going to get the jug's driver to stop the attack. That point has already come and gone.

At the war's end, an Axis aircraft approaching an Allied field with gear down were allowed to pass unmolested, but in battle, most often when the gear was "lowered", it was because the aircraft had been damaged to the point where the hydraulic (or compressed air) system had been damaged (as stated above).

A Bf109's bailout procedure was to jettison the canopy and "invert" or roll the aircraft, falling free of the cockpit. It was also a recommended procedure for Spitfire pilots to do the same: undo seat harness, raise seat, unplug oxygen and mic leads, release canopy, stand up on the seat and either push the control column forward or roll (invert) the aircraft and dive away. On the otherhand, the P-38 pilots were taught NOT to invert when bailing.

A trick 109 pilots used to use over Malta was to drop their gear and pretend to be Spitfires in the landing circuit - before shooting a landing aircraft or strafing the field.

see the first clip

Man that cannonfire was tearing those crates up.

On that first target, the gear certainly came down after some serious hits, but it seemed to me that there was no lock and just hung limp. I replayed that part over several times to be sure, but it's hard to tell for certain.

The Hurricane's landing gear doesn't come down that fast when operated properly. The hydraulics were almost certainly shot out.

P.S. what part of long island are you from? I'm originally from Queens but lived in Roslyn for a few years before moving down south.

I live in Wantagh, the gateway to Jones Beach. Or as I call it, "The jewel in the crown that is Long Island". Had Easter brunch at the George Washington Inn one time, that's in Roslyn right?

Not to hijack the thread but I'm originally from Flushing in Queens,we used to love West End 2 at Jones beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back