Japanese Bombers shot down Bacolod. Phillippines September 13, 1944 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Keith1967

Banned
Oct 14, 2020
On this date George Duncan and his wingman engaged and shot down two bombers variously described as Betty or (more likely) Sally types. The aerial fight was around Bacolod in the Philippines, the location of a JAAF airfield. Duncan encountered Ki-43 Oscar fighters and Ki-79 Willow trainers in this fight, adding one of each to his score. The Sally had by this time been largely superseded as a bomber although it's transport equivalent the "Topsy" was in use. Given the location and the date might not these bombers actually be the Ki-49 "Helen" which was in widespread action in this area in 1944?

Were there bombers units flying from this training airfield?

regards

Keith

Yep. The Oscar is possibly from 30th and 31 sentai or given that he also claimed a "Nate" (more likely a "Willow") it may have been from the 32nd Kyoiku Hikota which had a couple of older model Hayabusas . The "Betty" bombers surely must be "Sally" or "Topsy" if they were flying from a JAAF airfield (I tend to the Ki-21-IIb Sally if Duncan saw a dorsal turret).

Could the bombers be Ki-67 "Peggy"? The Ki-67 was finally identified in October 1944 but had been in service since at least July 1944 with the 98th Sentai. and possibly others The Peggy has a definite familiarity with the Betty. The Ki-48 is much smaller and an unlikely opponent.

Sorry, I do not understand your answer. I believe the 98th Sentai was flying from Linguyan on Luzon. Is this not correct?
The 98th sentai was under IJN command as the torpedo attacker unit deployed in Kanoya of Japanese homeland from February to October in1944 to join the Aerial Battle of Taiwan-Okinawa.

By the way, there were G4Ms of IJN 761-Ku in Davao, Mindanao Island in September, 1944.
They were not busy on September 13 as being prepared for the attack against a target in New Guinea scheduled on the 19th.

The 98th sentai was under IJN command as the torpedo attacker unit deployed in Kanoya of Japanese homeland from February to October in1944 to join the Aerial Battle of Taiwan-Okinawa.

By the way, there were G4Ms of IJN 761-Ku in Davao, Mindanao Island in September, 1944.
They were not busy on September 13 as being prepared for the attack against a target in New Guinea scheduled on the 19th.
A thought and an apology. The Ki-79 was not given the codename "Willow". It does not appear to have a codename. The "Willow" was a biplane trainer. I was misled by the "Pacific Wrecks" website normally an excellent source. Looking again at this air battle where trainer aircraft were involved it occurred that if, as I am informed there were no "Sally" bombers in the area, and that IJN G4M "Bettys" were also unlikely to be there it occurred to me that they might be Tachikawa Ki-54b "Hickory" twin-engine gunnery trainers? A bit of a stretch because I assume the training units in this area were fighter training units.

Best regards

Keith

There were G4Ms in Davao.
They were formally ordered to search for the US naval task forces on the next day.
Many thanks. Based on your reply I found this "In the Zamboanga area, elements of 761 Kōkūtai were based as well as some aircraft from the 1081 Kōkūtai although their HQ was in Cebu. 761 Ku was armed with G4M Bettys while 1081 Ku employed L2D Showa "Tabby"air transports and some G4M and G6M Bettys used for transports. They used San Roque Airfield in Zamboanga (later renamed Moret Field) and the smaller fighter airstrip in Dipolog which was much nearer to Cagayan."

Duncan identified Betty bombers when he strafed Betty bombers on Nichols field in November 1944 therefore I must conclude on the evidence that he destroyed two IJN Betty bombers/transports on this date. Probably from 761 Ku.

You know what I am going to ask Shinpachi... what G4M unit was on Nichols Field in November 1944 :)

best regards

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back