George "Buzz" Beurling, leading Canadian Ace

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to find here. I had heard and read about the "Eagle of Malta" in a general way but never any real detail. Any night I can go to bed and feel I learned something new is a good day.
Thanks for all the stories in this thread.
Art

I disagree the man was neither nuts nor an egomaniac what he was was one of the best shooters of any side during the war here is a bit written by his Rigger George Demare
Much has been written about George "Buzz" Beurling but perhaps not enough from the perspective of his ground crew - the Beurling I knew.
In some respects George Beurling could be likened to a wild bronco - a beautiful horse, but difficult to tame. We first knew him before he gained fame in the air. With his outgoing, genial nature he quickly won the admiration and respect of the ground crew. Beurling and I both joined 403 Sqn in England towards the end of 1941, shortly before the squadron moved to North Weald on London's northern outskirts, and I became his rigger. His first operational flight occurred on Christmas Day of that year.
One evening a few of us were enjoying a quiet pint in the Rovers Arms pub at nearby Epping when Sergeant/Pilot Beurling walked in asked if he could join us. We happily pulled over another chair and there he spent the evening with us sipping on a soft drink. He shunned alcohol but did not mind if we imbibed. After pubbing he came with us to our barracks where we spent the balance of the evening listening to records on an ancient gramophone. When eyelids got heavy George asked if we had a spare bed. "I don t feel like going back to my billet," he said. He became our overnight guest.
Our Spitfire squadron had a Miles Mag-ister for running errands. The two-seater gave Beurling the opportunity to take us up for "flips" to our great delight. His greatest pleasure was taking fellows up who had

never flown before and trying to "scare the pants off them."
Early in the war I had seen a George Formby movie in which he flew a plane through all sorts of mad aerobatics. When it became my turn for a flip 1 could have sworn that Beurling had memorized all of Formby's antics. He repeated them all except for flying through a load of hay unscathed. Fortunately there were no hay loads in sight. Would Beurling have tried it?
My excitement began with a routine takeoff followed by our buzzing of a rugby game in progress. Down over the goal posts we flew, causing the startled players to hug the ground, then up over the other goal posts and away. Next we swooped down over a herd of cattle, then over a potato field so low we had to climb to clear the hedge at the far end. More excitement was provided by flying between two trees with inches to spare. Following those low-level escapades, it was up into the high skies with a spiral climb, then a variety of loops, turns, stalls and spins. I was experiencing the thrill of a lifetime and my pants were still intact!
For the grand finale Beurling took us into a power dive - straight down at a horrendous speed. This caused me some concern as I noted the ground fast approaching and I envisioned myself splattered among the wreckage of our kite. I considered bailing out but never having learned to parachute decided to wait til George bailed out and then copy his motions. Alas! the ground was so near I abandoned all hope. Then less tha 100 feet from the ground Beurling executed a vertical hairpin turn and we were skyward bound. After a few more aeri manoeuvres we came in for a smooth land mg. When I emerged smiling, Beurling ] ted my shoulder and said "Good flying! replied "Terrific!"

In late spring of 1942 Beurling was posted to 41 Sqn RAF. Shortly thereafter he volunteered for duty on Malta with 249 Sqn where he served with rare distinction until 1 Nov. He then combined a rest in Canada with a recruiting drive and War Bond sale
In Sep 1943, now a member of the RCAF, Beurling was back with 403 Sqn Headcorn, Kent. Happily I was once more his rigger. Beurling spent much of his time talking with the ground crew where would expound at length about the art of deflection shooting, which combined with he incredible vision, won him such fame and success in Malta.
Boyish mischief never left this air ace. Once when we were alone, he eyed his new cap with disdain - said it made him look like a rookie. He remedied the problem by throwing the offending cap in the air and bringing it down with a blast from a shotgun. It then looked suitably broken in. About this time the -wing commander was flying crverhead in a Tiger Moth. There was a lack of mutual admiration between these two men
Buerling let fly with the shotgun. The Wincos ground crew were mystified by the series of small holes in the bottom of the left wing. I didn't tell and the Winco never knew.
In mid-October we left our ALG advanced landing ground) at Headcorn and returned to Kenley where Beurling was promoted to flight lieutenant. Due to poor flying weather our Spitfires were grounded much of the time. Beurling flew the Tiger Moth whenever possible and his reckless low-flying antics over the airfield and disregard for discipline earned him the wrath of the Winco.
In November George was posted to 412 Sqn. then on 8 May 1944 he was repatriated to Canada and retired from the RCAF i6 Oct
with a score of twenty-nine-and-a-third enemy aircraft destroyed, two probables, and nine damaged to his credit, earned the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), the Distinguished Flying Cross, (DFC) and the Distinguished Flying Medal (DFA1), and the admiration and countless RCAF groundcrew

I have seen some variance between accounts of who died with Beurling during the fatal crash of the Norseman at Rome airport. I can confirm that it was Leonard Cohen, formerly a WWII Flight Lieutenant. He was my father's first cousin and is now buried in Haifa, as is Beurling.

I've always felt that Beurling has been unfairly criticized and harshly judged. The article that started this thread is a good example. His early war experiences would seem to justify his disdain of the higher ranks that can't admit when they screw up and almost get someone killed.

The fact that he could break formation down a 190 and return to formation , without being noticed, says a lot about his skills and not so much about his flight members who failed to notice the ea and Beurlings attack.

Slaterat

I grabbed a copy of Malta Spitfire in an airport newsstand about 5 years ago to read on the plane. It's an easy read and quite an amazing story to boot.

There were many great pilots that weren't very good soldiers. He was just one of many, but even then, most didn't score like he did...except maybe H.J. Marseilles.

Here is an IL2 Music Video I made up, and it is all about George "Buzz" Beurling, whose Canadian ass was flyin Spifires over Malta with Squadron 249 on October 14th, 1942...

In this Historical Mission Portrayal, Beurling snared one Ju-88 and two Bf-109s... But he forgot about his own tail, while going after his next victim... His Spit got peppered with cannon shells, being wounded in the chest, leg and heel.... Semiconscious, he managed to bail out of his holed Spitfire MkVc before a hoard of 109's....

Enjoy...

Music is The Czar: Usurper/Escape/Martyr/Spiral by Mastodon

106418.jpg

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/at...esofprimus-il2-video-clips-09-dans-escape.wmv

It's often reported that Beurling would shoot at enemy pilots either baling from their a/c or while parachuting, claiming that he didn't want them possibly getting back in the air and shooting at him in the future. However in his own words in the book "Malta Spitfire" he states categorically that he hated the Germans because they made a habit of this - he mentions an incident when two Bf109s actually mistook a parachuting Bf109 pilot for a Spitfire pilot and shot him. If someone can point me towards a definite source that indicates that he was in fact in the habit of shooting at parachutists I'd be most obliged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back