German Kaiserliche Battleships

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi,

I found a few more pictures in my file:

SMS PRIZREGENT LUITPOLD

Attachments

• sms_prinzregent_luitpold-2_200.jpg
    sms_prinzregent_luitpold-2_200.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 561
  • sms_prinzregent_luitpold-1_179.jpg
    sms_prinzregent_luitpold-1_179.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 559
SMS OSTFRIESLAND SMS KÖNIG ALBERT

Attachments

• sms_konig_albert-1_198.jpg
    sms_konig_albert-1_198.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 554
  • sms_ostfriesland-1_141.jpg
    sms_ostfriesland-1_141.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 554
trackend said:
Its boot leather streaky bacon with waffles and syrup now then Skim .
At least when I went too Vancouver thats what they all had ,too close too Seattle do you reckon or was it the Canadians who started the trend?
Probably us. Those west coasters do some weird things. ;)

Great pics, Douglas! 8)

its amazing Douglas how even though the submarine was relatively a new type of vessel compared to surface raiders the threat they posed look at all the anti torpedo netting these ships carried

These nets have been removed after Jutland (they proved to have no or little effect and they increased weight and reduced speed). They have not been added because of the subs but because of the torpedoboats, which have been fielded by both, Royal Navy and High Sea Fleet in large numbers...

These are nice pictures of WW1 Ships. I like them. Yes, as said earlier, shame about the German High Seas Fleet, but then it had to be defeated for Britain to get victory in WW1.

Hello!
does anybody know where to get in the net good (really good) photos of the german WW-1 warships? here in Russia we have few really good sites with lots of pics related to misc navies - anything similar?
thanks to all!
max

WRONG!!! the german sailors sunk their ships in 1918 as they could not live with the dishonor of being captured.

the just left the doors open as they had no explosives

WRONG!!! There was no dishonor in being captured in Germany. The German culture is not like the Japanese Culture. First of all the scuttling happened in 1919 at Scapa Flow and not in 1918. German officers did not want the High Seas Fleet to be taken over and used by the Royal Navy, it had nothing to do with being captured.

I a relative in the Kaiserliche Marine in WW1 and he has some interesting pictures of the Scapa Flow incident. My grandmother has them, when I go and visit her the next time I will ask if I can have them to scan so that I can post them on here.

Interesting fact is the Kaiserliche Marine was never fully defeated going into Scapa Flow. She had actually met the Royal Navy on equal terms during the war and neither side had a full victory over the other. The RN would have a decisive victory which in turn was met with a decisive victory by the High Seas Fleet.

Interesting feats of the German Navy of WW1.

Inflicted the first major defeat that the Royal Navy suffered in 100 years at the Battle of Coronel on 14 November 1914 of the Coast of Chili. In the Battle the Germans sunk Cruisers, killing 1654 men with only 3 wounded German sailors.

Sunk more British Ships than lost at the Battle of Jutland from May 31, 1916 to June 1, 1916. In this battle the British lost 3 battlecruisers, 3 armoured cruisers and 8 destroyers with 6,094 killed, 510 wounded and 177 captured. The Germans lost 1 battlecruiser, 1 pre-dreadnought, 4 light cruisers and 5 torpedo-boats with a loss of 2,551 killed and 507 wounded.

Attachments

• German_War_Ensign.png
    German_War_Ensign.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 76
"Adler Ich warte noch auf deine Mutters Aufnahmen."
Adler Iam still waiting about those photos from your Mother

[QUOTE=I a relative in the Kaiserliche Marine in WW1 and he has some interesting pictures of the Scapa Flow incident. My grandmother has them, when I go and visit her the next time I will ask if I can have them to scan so that I can post them on here.

The High Seas Fleet did win the battle of "who lost how many" at Jutland, but a week after the battle Scheer's fleet was not fit for battle and the Grand Fleet was. Those WW1 capital ships certainly look like proper warships, not like the stuff we have today(not many guns.) Remember, the Ostfriesland(BB) survived the war and was used as a target ship by Billy Mitchell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back