German Mosquito with DB605??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So "German Moskito" or just "Moskito" was introduced by postwar authors, like Puma, Hetzer and others.

That paper, which is specifically about the bombing war, says the Mosquito was first sent into action with Bomber Command on the 31st of May 1942.

Just about any other history of the overall type will tell you that the first sortie overall was a PR flight in September 1941. You can start with "Mosquito" by Sharp Bowyer, which gives crew names and targets, difficulties encountered, etc. The book also provides a month-by-month, airframe-by-airframe list of Mosquito sorties with the PRU, though sadly the targets are not listed systematically.

By my count, the PRU Mossies had flown 190 sorties by the end of May 1942.

In July 1941, the first production Mosquito W 4051 (a production fuselage combined with some prototype flying surfaces – see section of Article "Prototypes and test flights") was sent to No. 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit (PRU), operating at the time at RAF Benson.[150] Consequently, the secret reconnaissance flights of this aircraft were the first active service missions of the Mosquito. In 1944, the journal Flight [151] gave 19 September 1941 as date of the first PR mission, at an altitude "of some 20 000 ft."

On 15 November 1941, 105 Squadron, RAF, took delivery of the first operational Mosquito Mk. B.IV bomber, serial no. W4064.[152] Throughout 1942, 105 Sdn., based at RAF Horsham St. Faith, then from 29 September, RAF Marham, undertook daylight low-level and shallow dive attacks.

wiki

The below meticulously researched paper states otherwise. What source are you using?
http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/664/2/adt-NU20050104.11440202whole.pdf

Please show us where this paper says that the first Mosquitoes operations were made by bombers - a specific page number would be good, instead of simply throwing 488 pages around and expecting readers to find it for themselves.

My source for the reconnaissance operations is Sharp and Bowyer (not used by the author of this paper on Bomber Command), which also shows that Mosquito night fighters started operations in April 1942, and that by May there were three operational Mosquito night fighter squadrons versus one bomber.

To add to the Mossie debate, one of the fundamental reasons behind it gaining acceptance in the first instance is that the air staff were reluctant to accept it as a high speed bomber on its own and Liptrot suggested that it fulfill a requirement for a night fighter specification - can't remember which one. This was before the prototype had been finished. The proposal that it also be developed for photographic recon was also put forward before the prototype was completed.

The name is easy to prove - show an official Focke-Wulf or RLM manual or document with this name.

There were official code names for Luftwaffe types issued late in the war (mid 1944 IIRC) and by the RLM. I can't find the list and can't remember if the Ta 154 made it on to the list, but it is possible.

I can't be arsed to dig through hundreds of pages to confirm or refute the name in any case :)

Cheers

Steve

Then we have the issue with project codenames and aircraft bynames, He 162 project name was Salamander but the aircraft byname was Spatz (Heinkel) and Volksjäger (RLM).

Last edited:
Just as an aside, the V 1 had a considerable number of names, official and unofficial; Fi 103 by its manufacturers, FZG (Flakzielgerat) 76 by the Luftwaffe, Kerschkern (Cherrystone), Vergeltungswaffe Eins, of course, Maikafer (May Bug) by Hitler himself, Doodlebug, buzz bomb by those subject to its attacks...

The Ta154 was originally code-named Ta211 because of the Jumo engines it was to have installed. The code-named was changed to 8-154 by the RLM.

When it became aparent that this would be the nemesis of the DeHavilland Mosquito, the reference name Moskito was used. Who the person or official entity that started this was, I don't know. I have never seen anything to the contrary.

I have never heard the Ta154 called anything else, either.

And I have never seen something official referencing the name Moskito so unless this pops up we can only assume it was made by a creative postwar author.

At least one Ta 154 pilot referred to the 'Moskito' which lends credence to the idea that it was a nick name used during the war, even if not an official designation.

"....During the late summer and autumn of 1944 I was seconded to 3./NJG 3 at Stade and then detached to 1./NJG 3 at Grove in Denmark where I was entrusted with the calibration and harmonisation work on our airborne radar and electronics systems. At that time in Stade we had a Ta 154 'Moskito' undergoing trials....."

It's a flattering name. The A-4 version would probably have been only slightly (10-15 mph) slower than the de Havilland Mosquito NF Mk.30 but had a service ceiling well over 5,000 feet lower. All the 20mm and 30mm cannons in the world won't make up for that.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back