German P.O.W. in Russia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi,
I'm currently reading the fascinating history of the life of famous German fighter ace Erich Hartmann and I was surprised and shocked in understanding that he has been a P.O.W. in Russia for more then 10 years after the end of WW2. Like him some other 100,000 German soldiers
Does anybody knows a source for further reading on this subject?
Many thanks in advance.
Alberto

I read about him in "The Blonde Ace of Germany" or something like that, when I was a kid. The Soviets kept him about as long as they could because he wouldn't knuckle under. One very tough guy. But that mentality that helped him so much in a Soviet POW camp was counterproductive when he came home. Tended to be very much a guy who did things his own way and listened to nobody.

I read about him in "The Blonde Ace of Germany" or something like that, when I was a kid. The Soviets kept him about as long as they could because he wouldn't knuckle under. One very tough guy. But that mentality that helped him so much in a Soviet POW camp was counterproductive when he came home. Tended to be very much a guy who did things his own way and listened to nobody.

The book I'm reading is very probably the one you mention. The title is "Blond Knight of Germany"; authors are Raymond F. Toliver and Trevor J. Constable, so far quite a good book but my interest in this moment in time is much wider: German (and Italian?) P.O.W. kept in Russia for many years after the end of WW2. I read somewhere that the latest were released in 1979!
Alberto

German POWs were kept in labor camps for a very long time after the war. My Grandfather was captured, but fortunately was allowed to return pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back