German P.O.W. in Russia

Discussion in 'WW2 General' started by al49, Aug 4, 2010.

1. al49

al49 Well-Known Member

retired
    Hi,
    I'm currently reading the fascinating history of the life of famous German fighter ace Erich Hartmann and I was surprised and shocked in understanding that he has been a P.O.W. in Russia for more then 10 years after the end of WW2. Like him some other 100,000 German soldiers
    Does anybody knows a source for further reading on this subject?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Alberto

2. timshatz

timshatz Active Member

MGR
    I read about him in "The Blonde Ace of Germany" or something like that, when I was a kid. The Soviets kept him about as long as they could because he wouldn't knuckle under. One very tough guy. But that mentality that helped him so much in a Soviet POW camp was counterproductive when he came home. Tended to be very much a guy who did things his own way and listened to nobody.

3. al49

al49 Well-Known Member

retired
    The book I'm reading is very probably the one you mention. The title is "Blond Knight of Germany"; authors are Raymond F. Toliver and Trevor J. Constable, so far quite a good book but my interest in this moment in time is much wider: German (and Italian?) P.O.W. kept in Russia for many years after the end of WW2. I read somewhere that the latest were released in 1979!
    Alberto

4. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    German POWs were kept in labor camps for a very long time after the war. My Grandfather was captured, but fortunately was allowed to return pretty quickly.