German WW2 instrument color (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi MiG2830

Yes its fairly well documented, this is the panel from the one on display at the RAF Midlands Museum in Cosford where I am lucky enough to volunteer (somebody has to do it :)).
Its number is Wr Nr. 112372 and its a Me-262/2a built in Leipheim in late 1944 and captured by British troop on the 6th May 1945 at Lubeca.

Regards

Rodd

Hi Rodd,

Ahh its 112372. That is a former aircraft of 10./NJG11 with call sign Red 2. Before that it was belonging to JG7.
It was captured at Schleswig-Land on May 5th, 1945 and ferried to Farnborough via Gilze-Rijen on May 19th, 1945 by sq.ldr Boxton. Stranded i Gilze-Rijen due to hydraulic problems. allocated Air Min 51.
After repair ferried to Farnborough.

Locky you to have to do that job.

That you do, I've read through them a few times a great source of information.

We are improving the exhibit compared to the photo I sent, you will notice the gunsight mount is in the stowed position but no gunsight is attached. This is being remedied and come the new year a REVI16B will be in place, after all these years !! :)

Fine initiative to bring back the REVI. There was also a emergency Turn&Bank indikater in 112372 at the time of surrender i Schleswig-Land. This was added as the aircraft was taken over by 10./NJG11 in Lübeck-Blankensee. 10./NJG11 being a night fighter staffel had additional equipment such as UV-light, standby T&B and flap position indicator.
You can find proof of this in a report from RAE, reference AVIA 6-1352.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rodd,

Ahh its 112372. That is a former aircraft of 10./NJG11 with call sign Red 2. Before that it was belonging to JG7.
It was captured at Schleswig-Land on May 5th, 1945 and ferried to Farnborough via Gilze-Rijen on May 19th, 1945 by sq.ldr Boxton. Stranded i Gilze-Rijen due to hydraulic problems. allocated Air Min 51.
After repair ferried to Farnborough.

Locky you to have to do that job.

Fine initiative to bring back the REVI. There was also a emergency Turn&Bank indikater in 112372 at the time of surrender i Schleswig-Land. This was added as the aircraft was taken over by 10./NJG11 in Lübeck-Blankensee. 10./NJG11 being a night fighter staffel had additional equipment such as UV-light, standby T&B and flap position indicator.
You can find proof of this in a report from RAE, reference AVIA 6-1352.

Regards
Mikael
Hi Mikael,
Thank you for the updated history of this aircraft, I will make sure this recorded in its life history file in the museum database (if not already there).

REVI sight - Yes, having discovered how rare they are and the cost of original items the museum decided to manufacture one or two - One of the very skilled full time technicians is now fabricating some replicas, by hand.
Regards
Rodd
Good stuff Rodd. I must come and see you again.

Hi AirFrames,

Yes time you came down again, Cheshire is not to far away....

However I had better warn you of a little turmoil as the museum is just starting a revamp of Hangars 2 & 3 ( currently "Test Flight" & "War in the Air") to better explain the significance of the RAF in both World Wars and to highlight the development of Bomber and Fighter commands. This has sadly necessitated the moving of some exhibits to other museums (including Hendon :) - but on the plus side the Wellington will be coming back on display after its decade long refurbishment and this will displayed alongside the Bristol Bolingbroke (ie Canadian built Blenheim) which has come up from Hendon.

It should have all settled down by Spring (fingers crossed).

Regards
Rodd

Thanks for the info Rodd.
I probably can't get there until spring anyway, so hopefully things will be sorted. I'll try and let you know when I'm coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back