Go-229

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah, airbrakes, strong landing gear, good low speed flight characteristics and flaps that are almost 90 degrees downward for extra drag and slowness. In other words, although it was not that great in the visibility department, it could land flying VERY slow. (Slow=not too much engine power=little smoke=sssssshhhh, quiet - great for hiding from P-47s and P-51s)

The visibility probably would have been better than the picture shows. After all you are right at the front.

i just thought that if you pitch your nose up on landing (this was before i realised how slowly it landed) the "tail" could hit the ground when you land......................

No, in actual fact it was one of the most redeeming features...it originally had 4 wheels for landing, then they went to the tri-cycle set-up.They put on an enlarged front wheel to assist take-off, with the projected heavy ordinance loads, 2x2,205 lb bombs or 2x 275 Imp gal. fuel tanks - As I stated on page one, it's take-off was short, 500 yds @ 95 mph, and they had a complex set-up of spoilers to give excellent control at ALL speeds...

I still question the flight characteristics being that good. If the B-2 and the US Flying Wing were the same design, why were they considered to have so many control problems if this didn't? In the end I think that is what had delayed its entry into service. The fact that it might not have been too good on control. I don't know however, of whether there are any actual flying models which have tested this however. Also I don't know of any reports by the German Pilots about their test flights, but feel free to post any you do have.

.. Just a little point about engines: it was trhe other way around.

The HoIX-Go229 frame was designed for the BMW 003, then when the Jumo 004 were available with more thrust they decided to fit the latter, that was of bigger diameter and required some redesign to fit.

The program was delayed also because the prototype crashed for engine cut-off during landing approach after an apparently promising maiden flight. The other prototypes were still under construction, one of them is the one at Smithsonian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back