Good Day, All!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

John,
I forgot to warn you of the those threads. Color of a model was posted by Roadkill01 way back and comes back frequenlty as does the Speed of dark thread. They are like forum quick sand.
Thank you, My Friend. I am new here, so I will be careful and watch out for both. Have a great weekend!

Point Reyes, which is just north of San Francisco, is the foggiest spot on the California coast. They have about 200 days of fog a year.

The coast of California can have fog at one point or another, though due to the cooler Pacific moisture being drawn inland by the warmer, drier climate.

As a matter of trivia, my youngest daughter is married to a coast guardsman and their previous post was McKinnleyville. They were told it was the foggiest weather in the U.S.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I'm afraid your Daughter is correct, McKinleyville, and this particular area of the far Northern California Coast is constantly shrouded in fog and mist 85% of the time. Here it is, the second of July, and this is the first sunny and clear day we have in quite a while. (If we're lucky, the temperature may go all the way up to seventy degrees!) I was born in the San Francisco-Oakland Bay area, so I am used to being "socked-in" for days in major "Pea Soup", but I was unprepared for this level of fog, rain and mist before my Mom and I retired to this dreary "Eco Paradise" behind "The Redwood Current"! Have a great day, My Friend.

It is a nice place to go to. Spent a bit of time. It just like a knowledgeable bar thing. Now how about, if you feel like it offcourse, tell some stories of the planes you have flown? I am a sucker for the Commando. No rush.
Thank you for your kind words. I have flown quite a variety of aircraft since I earned my wings, and I hope to talk more about them in future posts. The primary ships assigned to me for daily runs were the C-47 "Dakota" and the C-46 "Commando". Of the two, I've always preferred the Commando over the Dakota. Yes, as with all taildraggers, she could be a challenge to maneuver on the ground, displaying special quirks all her own. (I, E;; Gunning the port or starboard engine to turn right or left, respectively, during taxing.) but once in the air, she was a "rock-solid ship". Yes, she as slow and lumbering, but perfectly suited to the job assigned to her at the time. I made two, round trip flights on each the three C-46's every day, weather permitting, for the five years I flew for the company in Indochina and, I must say, the C-46 was always my favorite. Thank you again for your comment and have a nice weekend.

Thank you for your kind words. I have flown quite a variety of aircraft since I earned my wings, and I hope to talk more about them in future posts. The primary ships assigned to me for daily runs were the C-47 "Dakota" and the C-46 "Commando". Of the two, I've always preferred the Commando over the Dakota. Yes, as with all taildraggers, she could be a challenge to maneuver on the ground, displaying special quirks all her own. (I, E;; Gunning the port or starboard engine to turn right or left, respectively, during taxing.) but once in the air, she was a "rock-solid ship". Yes, she as slow and lumbering, but perfectly suited to the job assigned to her at the time. I made two, round trip flights on each the three C-46's every day, weather permitting, for the five years I flew for the company in Indochina and, I must say, the C-46 was always my favorite. Thank you again for your comment and have a nice weekend.
I recall when I was stationed in Aden that the civilian airline Aden Airways had a fleet of D-47 Dakotas and the pilots who flew them seemed to treat them like they were just an extension of a fighter. Landing was never a long approach but more of a flip over the airfield with a steep starboard turn and down onto the runway. I often wondered how the passengers felt. I should say that I was just ground staff who's sole contribution to aircraft flying was to fit the aircraft of the RAF, namely Argosy or Beverly in whatever role had been designated to its next operation flight. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back