Graf zepplin and aircraft to be carried, thoughts?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A narrow undercarriage is not that big a disavantage for a carrier fighter, iirc the Wildcat had a narrower track than either the Spit or 109. The 109s undercarriage problems were not principally caused by the track.

The 109 had another big problem for carrier operations, the canopy. When landing or taking off from a carrier, you want to leave the canopy open, both for visibility, and to make a quick escape if you ditch. Not being able to open the canopy on takeoff/landing is a huge disadvantage for a carrier aircraft.

carpenoctem1689 said:
No, you really dont. The spitfire, with some difficultly was forced into carrier operations, and evolved into an effective carrier-borne fighter, barring the many landing accidents. The germans, as was proven through the war, were very innovative, and im sure Willy Messerschmidt or one of his subordinates would have come up with some alteration or modification to make the Me-109 a somewhat effective carrier fighter.

Very good point. :D

The F4F managed to get away with a narrow landing gear because the USN had excellent pilot training and Grumman designed a very robust and solid landing gear design.

But if you look at every landing gear design after the F4F went into service, they were all wide.

The Messerschmitt Me 155 was originally intended to be a carrier-based fighter operating from the Graf Zeppelin, but was later redesigned as a high-altitude fighter plane and redesignated the Blohm und Voss Bv 155 after design of the Me 155 was handed over to Blohm und Voss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back