Greatest Aircraft of World War Two. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was thinkin' that when I had to send Audioslave songs to him. Which I have to say never worked because Yahoo! can't handle them!

No....Its minibloke822, because:

A) At the time I had a mini that I was adamant I would never sell ;)
B) Im a bloke (Open to debate though)
C) My racing number was 822 (but I later changed it to 802)

;)

All votes have been registered, sadly I wont be able to reply thought because...I cant be arsed to :lol:

I was hoping response would be a little greater than it was, in over 9 month weve only had about 120 results ;) Here are the results though, may as well end voting now.

Supermarine Spitfire: 18
North American P-51: 15
Lockheed P-38: 13
De Havilland Mosquito: 10
Messerschmitt Bf-109: 7
Boeing B-17: 7
Boeing B-29: 6
Republic P-47: 6
Messerschmitt Me-262: 6
Douglas C-47: 5
Chance-Vought F4U: 5
Focke-Wulf Fw-190: 4
Focke-Wulf Ta-152: 3
Avro Lancaster: 3
Hawker Hurricane: 2
Northrop P-61: 1
Ilyushin IL-2: 1
Consolidated B-24: 1
Grumman F4F Wildcat: 1
Hawker Typhoon: 1
Junkers Ju-87: 1
Grumman F6F Hellcat: 1

I can safely say this whole thing was a failure! :thumbleft:

cheddar cheese said:
I was hoping response would be a little greater than it was, in over 9 month weve only had about 120 results ;) Here are the results though, may as well end voting now.

Supermarine Spitfire: 18
North American P-51: 15
Lockheed P-38: 13
De Havilland Mosquito: 10
Messerschmitt Bf-109: 7
Boeing B-17: 7
Boeing B-29: 6
Republic P-47: 6
Messerschmitt Me-262: 6
Douglas C-47: 5
Chance-Vought F4U: 5
Focke-Wulf Fw-190: 4
Focke-Wulf Ta-152: 3
Avro Lancaster: 3
Hawker Hurricane: 2
Northrop P-61: 1
Ilyushin IL-2: 1
Consolidated B-24: 1
Grumman F4F Wildcat: 1
Hawker Typhoon: 1
Junkers Ju-87: 1
Grumman F6F Hellcat: 1

I can safely say this whole thing was a failure! :thumbleft:

I voted for the Storch! :evil4:

Well if you fly IL2 with all its myriad of patches,and if the flight models are correct, and if you realize that there is a definite favoritism towards a certain Russian LA series of aircraft, and your pretty much an F.N.G. ,and all you can fly is a certain LA series of fighter,and you realize that all the allied aircraft such as the Jug, Pony, Lightning,F6F ,F4U series, and Corsair series, pretty much all the American fighters are so under modeled that all there really good for is Z. B.and getting blown out of the air with a certain series of LA Russian aircraft, and in all fairness a certain 25 pounder that seems to defy its parameters of the real fighter.
To be fair as far as I am concerned the IL2 series of flight Simms are without question the best in the virtual sky's bar none.
So to answer the original question "what is the best fighter of WWII" ....................wait for it.............the Mitsubishi A6MC model, Yes your all probably scratching you heads saying WTF ..is he on Crack? Actually no I'm not , if you take the basic design of this fighter its maneuverability ,its fire power its climb rate.etc ,from about 1939 to about 1942 it was the most deadly fighter in the sky in any theater of operation. Now having said this the A6M the Mits was a victim of the ideological beliefs,a feudal militarism,a none willingness to improve the fighter to keep up with ...lets say the American fighters
The Japanese designers never really improved the power plant to compete with the Grumman series of aircraft they never protected there pilots so as a consequence they lost there best.
To make along story short , it the Japanese would have kept up with there opponents, and put the time and effort into improving on the same scale as the Germans,British,Russians ,and Americans, the Marianas Turkey Shoot may have had a differant out come

X

The Zeke was too slow to be considered the best aircraft of World War II. In 1941, the Germans and British had already surpassed the Zeke comfortably with the introduction of the Bf-109F, Fw-190A and Spitfire Mk.V. All of which would out-pace the A6M and dictate combat at will. The Spitfire Mk.V did, in fact, come into contact with the Zeke in 1943. The pace of the Spitfire proved it to be a superior machine, and when kept at pace would make easy kills over the Zeke.

Even in the early stages of the war, the A6M's ability was only so powerful because the shroud of myth preceeded it into battle. Once the facts had been realised about the A6M, it was soon a losing plane.

2 weeks ago, the Willow Grove Naval Air Base had an Air Fest. One of the planes that interested me was a B-24 Liberator bomber. I noticed there was no bubble turret on top. the nose has one 50 Cal. gun , no turret like the photos I've seen of B-24s. I talked to the person who said they had flown it in from Oklahoma it was a prototype of the B-24. He said B-24s are very rare there are only a few left in the world. He described that the plane had various models assignments-anti-sub, observation, bombing. It operated in all theaters, North Africa, Pacific, Europe. I said it was a sturdy aircraft but didn't quite get the publicity or recognition was overshadowed by the B-17 Flying Fortress. He said that's true.

Don't eve begin bringing in sims to make these types of comparisons - no PC sim will ever get you remotely close to the really flying, let alone determining aircraft performance.

The Zero was an over-rated propaganda machine, although deadly in the right hands it never achieved more than a 2 to 1 kill ratio over inferior Western aircraft and that was only for a very short period!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back